Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts onlyinnewfoundland's Avatar

Re: Faulty Lexmark Imaging Units.

Hey guys

I also have issues with IU's from Lexmark...we get the majority of our supplies through Synnex - we are in Canada, so not sure how widespread the issue is.

I know Lexmark was recently purchased by a Chinese aftermarket company so I suspect the quality will probably go down but everything will get even cheaper as a result.

85% of my base up here is Canon so I am extremely jaded by all these trivial issues the Lexmark boxes seem to have. We are selling BSD stuff so, no consumer stuff. I have noticed on the XS792 series (not sure what the consumer equivalent is) we go through a lot of colour carts way before they are done. Seems like what happens is the cartridge does not have a very reliable ATR system compared to Canon and others...most of them that I have hauled apart have the transfer roller in bad shape and they are usually starved of toner. Drum surfaces seem okay and tend to last.

On average, I'd say we are getting somewhere in the ballpark of 50-85% use out of them and they start showing issues.

The newer models seem okay (XC6152, 4150, etc) - haven't had any failures other than the system software being pretty bad.

Sharp & HP Tech 100+ Posts austonrush's Avatar

We also have issues with Lexmark imaging units not getting anywhere near the life advertised....

A new generation of machines has just been released lets see if they are any better.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Faulty Lexmark Imaging Units.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon55 View Post
    We also have issues with Lexmark imaging units not getting anywhere near the life advertised....

A new generation of machines has just been released lets see if they are any better.
    Log a job with Lexmark and then send them back to your local supplier for a credit. It won't be until that it starts to hurt them financially will anything be done. They just don't seem to care that the end user is inconvenienced by given faulty consumables.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Sharp & HP Tech 100+ Posts austonrush's Avatar

Oh I send them back for replacement all the time (especially if there on MPS contract printers). I never have an issue getting a credit for them, it is just stupid that Lexmark can claim a 60k life cycle for a drum that I'm lucky to get 20-30k out of at most.... From a customers perspective it doesn't look good because the machine print quality looks horrible but, there printer reports the photoconductor has a lot of life remaining.

The optics look bad (yes the pun is totally intended). lol

I've got yet another 4 sitting beside my desk waiting for me to process Jeez, its depressing
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    I have a customer with an MX812 that has had light copies and gets only about 10k - 15k from them. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out if it's the imaging units or the printer...(a new IU fixes the issue for 10K - 15k then it gets light and streaky again).

Dont pull your hair out... its the IU - they are crappy! manufacturing problem with the DB.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    i'm not impressed with the newer line of Lexmark ANYTHING.
    its not a new line, its the same excat machine with a new name and a smaller toner cartridge - MX417 instead of MX410.

no improvments what so ever in the IU section.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

yes lexmark has known bad imaging units for different models. And they are aware of it. copiers that i service its a known issue on 2 modles that use the same unit. that once the life gets down to about 50% then you have to replace it. and each time i have to call and give them info in order to get new ones. they want to know the part number on the box, as well as the barcode on the unit itself.

It also applies to the "licensed" printers. Dell uses several models of Lexmark printers. Just had two Dell B3460's (MS510/610 series) within two weeks that the imaging unit dumped toner inside the printer and had to be vacuumed out.