ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Lexmark T654 blank display

Customer has 2 that have blank display, but you can hear a fan when you turn it on. I went the usual route, replaced the control panel, still blank. Replaced the system board, still blank. By blank, I mean no illumination at all. The control panel came with new cables, which plug directly into the system board. I now have $600 worth of stuff in a dead printer and a very unhappy customer. The board and panel are married to the machine now and can't be used elsewhere. Anybody else had this?
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Lexmark T654 blank display

Yeah very common issue it is the LVPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmtech View Post
    Yeah very common issue it is the LVPS.
    thank you
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

FYI.

Powering up in diagnostic mode allows the technician to test the machine [using a generic FRU] and then remove the generic FRU , if the FRU did not fix the problem. The generic FRU will mirror and lock during a standard POR [ power on reset sequence.

In other words, If you want to use another board to test the machine, you can power it up in diagnostic mode, then the machine will not mirror the NVRAM from the other components to the board. If you power up in normal or POR , then the nvram will be mirrored and the board will be married to the machine.

Lexmark is a diffrent beast altogether. you have to be familar with their repair procedures or it will cost you.

I wanted to follow up in case some other tech needs help/ The machine has been at my bench for weeks. I did not have the gut feeling that the power supply would fix it. Then I found out that Lexmark will give tech support to anyone. Last time I tried, they wanted to charge me.

Without going through the whole hour I spent talking to them, here are the details. I unplugged everything on the system board except the control panel connections and the juice from the power supply. When I booted it, I got my display back. I reconnected everything on the board and booted, screen was dead again. One by one, I started pulling connectors off until I found the one that lit up the screen. The culprit was the bridge that connect the add ons, in this case, the extra tray. I never would have guessed.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Congratulations. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Congratulations. =^..^=
    It was a lexmark day. My first call was another old open ticket. The machine was an old x945, actually built by Xerox. It had a 960 error, for memory. Should be simple. I found a dimm real cheap, installed it, and still had the code. It being a Lexmark, I was not ready to stick my neck out and gamble. This was an old, good customer. I thought about it for a while, a couple of weeks actually and the next logical step was the system board. It retailed to the customer for $1100, but I found a refurb for $550. I was sure that they wouldn't repair it based on how old it was. Well she told me to fix it. The system board came in and I went and installed it. I boot the machine, and now I have a 961 error. I pull the board and move the dimm to the second slot. Reboot and now I have a System board error. It is hard to think because in my head I am going "shitshitshitshit". I still have the old dimm. As a last resort I put it in and SUCCESS! It worked. I was breathing a sigh of relief.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Whew! That was a close one. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=