Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sharp & HP Tech 100+ Posts austonrush's Avatar

Exclamation C950 Print Defect

Hi Everyone,

I have a Lexmark C950 with the following print defect. C950.JPG

The black developer, developer cartridge and drum have all been replaced. It should be noted when each one of these was replaced the problem went away for a bit but then came back.

Does anyone have any thoughts? This defect only shows up in black print, none of the colours do this.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    C950 Print Defect

Re: C950 Print Defect

Were all of the items genuine consumables?

I have read here about Lexmark consumables being faulty out of the box A LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance15 View Post
    Were all of the items genuine consumables?

I have read here about Lexmark consumables being faulty out of the box A LOT.
    The Drum and developer is OEM. The Toner the customer is using is a compatible. The customer has two of these units so, I'm able to swap drums to eliminate them as the issue.

The developer unit was also changed (Before it was changed this defect was worse it printed these random dots on the white part of the page no matter what. Now it on'y prints within the black print).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

This is a common problem in developer units.

Thatīs a Fuji Box.....color Boxes donīt like compatible consumables!!

Quote Originally Posted by trc View Post
    Thatīs a Fuji Box.....color Boxes donīt like compatible consumables!!
    If it was the compatible toner would we not be seeing it across the whole print page? Why only on the edges?

I don't know how those are set up--are the toner cartridges actually developer units? If so, just change the black one. If not, you might have to replace both the developer and toner, because bad toner leaked in and might have contaminated the developing unit.

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    I don't know how those are set up--are the toner cartridges actually developer units? If so, just change the black one. If not, you might have to replace both the developer and toner, because bad toner leaked in and might have contaminated the developing unit.
    This machine is setup very similar to a copier. Toner comes in its own cartridge and feeds down a pipe into the developer unit. Drum unit is simply a Drum and PCR unit combined (no toner).

Don't give too much thought to what the problem was before and what the problem is now. The fact is, they're two different problems. You probably fixed the first problem, and now you have another one. This looks to me like a developer issue. If you change the developer (with a new one--not one from another machine) and it goes away, then you're good. If it comes back, it's because of the toner, and you'll have to change the developer again, while also changing the toner.

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Don't give too much thought to what the problem was before and what the problem is now. The fact is, they're two different problems. You probably fixed the first problem, and now you have another one. This looks to me like a developer issue. If you change the developer (with a new one--not one from another machine) and it goes away, then you're good. If it comes back, it's because of the toner, and you'll have to change the developer again, while also changing the toner.
    Thanks for your quick response. I thought it was developer but, you get thrown off when the same problem comes back so quickly! Alright I'll also recommend we put an oem black toner in with the new developer unit!

Would you replace the whole developer unit or just vacuum the developer out of the current unit, (which is only a week old) and put a new bag in? The bags are cheap, lol! The unit not so much .