Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

T654 Labels Crooked

I've got a problem that's been beating my brain around, hoping to bounce this one around!

I've got a customer that is running a T654 printer. Every week, they do a 300 page label run for store sales. The past few months, they've had issues with the printer starting to print outside the labels - the job will usually start ok with a full tray of labels, but the more empty the tray gets, the worse the feed seems to get and it starts printing/feeding crooked. The print is fine at the bottom of the page, but its off center at the top, and printing outside the label. If I stop the job and refill the tray (it's usually bad at about 1/4 full), it starts printing straight again until it gets to about 1/4 tray. I've changed both printer and the tray 2 assembly, I've set the registration and it's pretty straight on the page as well. I've also set the paper type to heavy labels so it feeds slower through the printer. Any ideas why this would be? I'm starting to think they're getting bad labels at this point. I'll try attaching a picture so you get a better idea... Thanks everyone!

Re: T654 Labels Crooked

Picture showing the feed/printing
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tech 250+ Posts driving lots of miles's Avatar

These labels are most likely the problem, be sure to have them fan out the labels before placing them in the drawer. They get them in by the case and they are pretty compressed in the package and they are heavy. The sticky residue from the removal of the outside edge of these labels can cause just enough lag time to get them off center especially if they are at the bottom of the stack.

Thanks for the reply! I do get them to fan the labels, but the same issue happens. I just had a thought of maybe it's too dry and static is a bigger issue? Those are the only labels they have an issue with, but maybe those are just the most affected by it?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts driving lots of miles's Avatar

My next step would be a good cleaning of the rollers and then a good cleaning of the tray itself around the inside edges. The quality of the labels played a big roll in how they worked in the machine. Before I started working on copiers I was in the grocery business and we dealt with these type of jams all the time.

Kind of a random question, but how much does paper texture play into it? Like they're smooth labels so I have the tray set to smooth, but how do the different options affect feed? I know weight slows or speeds up the feed for toner bonding, but never noticed any difference with textures...