Senior Tech 250+ Posts driving lots of miles's Avatar

Lexmark MX711de printing light greyscale in the middle of the page

we have a non color Lexmark MX711de that when it is printing greyscale it is not filled totally in the middle of the page. We are using genuine Lexmark supplies. we installed a new image unit and that did not help. We called Lexmark support and they did not have any solution other than to send out another image unit. We installed the new image unit and the greyscale is only marginally better. Copies from the glass are excellent as are the solid black internal prints, it is very noticeable on the header for fax job log which is lighter grey. The customer prints mainly contract deeds and any signatures or colored writing in the middle of the page are difficult to read, the 2 inches on each edge are very readable. This is the second brand new image unit installed. We have printed the same pages to a different Lexmark copier (same model) and they come out fine, so that rules out computer or IT issues. Sorry, I know it is a long post but I wanted to get all the info in. We are open to any ideas.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Lexmark MX711de printing light greyscale in the middle of the page

Tray cleaning the laser unit glass. Had this several times.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by driving lots of miles View Post
    we have a non color Lexmark MX711de that when it is printing greyscale it is not filled totally in the middle of the page. We are using genuine Lexmark supplies. we installed a new image unit and that did not help. We called Lexmark support and they did not have any solution other than to send out another image unit. We installed the new image unit and the greyscale is only marginally better. Copies from the glass are excellent as are the solid black internal prints, it is very noticeable on the header for fax job log which is lighter grey. The customer prints mainly contract deeds and any signatures or colored writing in the middle of the page are difficult to read, the 2 inches on each edge are very readable. This is the second brand new image unit installed. We have printed the same pages to a different Lexmark copier (same model) and they come out fine, so that rules out computer or IT issues. Sorry, I know it is a long post but I wanted to get all the info in. We are open to any ideas.
    If copies are good then you must look at the laser unit as the other tech commented. I think lexmark calls it the printhead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dadofmykids View Post
    If copies are good then you must look at the laser unit as the other tech commented. I think lexmark calls it the printhead.

I'm sorry, but if copies are good, I don't understand how the laser unit might be at fault.
    Perhaps, a memory problem?
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I think I detect some conflicting evidence. Printing and copying use the same print engine, so should be equally affected it it had anything to do with the engine. I suspect one of two possibilities:

1) You are not noticing the same effect on copies, but it's there, perhaps more subtle. This points to the laser slit glass being dirty. Is it an especially dirty environment?
    2) You meant to say copies are light but prints and internal reports are OK, indicating a dirty scanner.

Or how about this twist: As the scanner got more and more dirty, a tech compensated by lightening the engine density, but did not clean the optics. When the optics are cleaned the prints and copies will be equally light, and the print engine density can be adjusted back into range. Convoluted, yes? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician

Zoo, good point. I should have thought about that a little more before posting. Thanks.

Cat, the poster would be wise to listen to you.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts driving lots of miles's Avatar

Solved Re: Lexmark MX711de printing light greyscale in the middle of the page

A judicious use off alcohol on the laser print head took care of the problem. We had cleaned it several times with just q-tips and got no results. Thanks to everyone who helped.