Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    How to setup Print Black and White as Default on Lexmark XC9235

Going in behind another company.

They installed all the drivers for 40+ employees. They all print color
    as default.

Customer wants Black and White as default. With Mgmt approval to print color.

Any quick way to accomplish this without having to go to each machine and change or install new driver?

Thanks in advance.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: How to setup Print Black and White as Default on Lexmark XC9235

Quote Originally Posted by rockdude View Post
    Going in behind another company.
    They installed all the drivers for 40+ employees. They all print color
    as default.
    Customer wants Black and White as default. With Mgmt approval to print color.
    any quick way to accomplish this without having to go to each machine and change or install new driver?
    Thanks in advance.
    how are the drivers loaded? if LOCAL ( on each PC ) you will need to adjust the properties on EACH PC
    if loaded on the server the IT dept can make the global change easy.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

They were individually installed.

They claim that the server coudn't push the drivers down?

Not sure why they weren't pushed down by the server?

They were individually installed.

They claim that the server coudn't push the drivers down?

*** BS their IT dept 1) don't know their job 2) they are too lazy to do it... when i comes to servers.. I don't touch them.. too easy to cost the boss BIG $$$ if you fuck it up

Not sure why they weren't pushed down by the server?
    see note above^^^

No problem just show there IT how to change the default to black and white

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Got it done.

L O N G Time back I got my MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) so I am not a moron when it comes to servers.

Customer was using IT from a place that only remotes in. Never goes on site. (Not happy with them)

I advised customer I PROBABLY could fix it, but no guarantees.

Went into server setup installed Print and Document service, made sure Print server box was checked,

Opened Print Management, added Print Server, added drivers for all computers 32 bit 64 bit for both Win 7 and Win 10.

Added Two Printers under Print Server (Right Click) (Add IP Add and Name 1st. Black White Lex XC9235 2nd. Color Lex XC9235)

Share printers with everybody, print Black and White test page, print Color test page.

List printers in AD (Active Directory).

Create Object in GPO (Group Policy), Deploy via GPO and set Per Machine Basis.

Link GPO object to OU, and I was good to go. Now all old and new users when they login have the right drivers and have B&W Set to default.

Between reading, investigating, and testing it took me over 4 hour’s total.

Another reason I like Printers and Copiers BETTER!

Thanks for all replies

Got it done.
    **L O N G Time back I got my MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) so I am not a moron when it comes to servers.**
    Customer was using IT from a place that only remotes in. Never goes on site. (Not happy with them)
    Went into server setup installed Print and Document service, made sure Print server box was checked,
    Opened Print Management, added Print Server, added drivers for all computers 32 bit 64 bit for both Win 7 and Win 10.
    Added Two Printers under Print Server (Right Click) (Add IP Add and Name 1st. Black White Lex XC9235 2nd. Color Lex XC9235)
    Share printers with everybody, print Black and White test page, print Color test page.
    Link GPO object to OU, and I was good to go. Now all old and new users when they login have the right drivers and have B&W Set to default.
    Thanks for all replies
    Congrats!

BTW I hope you didn't think I was implying you were a moron. I fact you seems to be on top of most of the issues for others.

I had a tech that 'thought' he could 'push from server' in a 12 person office the drivers for a Xerox copier, he trashed the server, cost the Boss 12g to get all set back up again...They were a higher end CPA firm here in the RTP area. Needless to say..Boss was VERY pissed and he was VERY unemployed! ( he moved to CO a few months later..) circ 2002

I regret I ever went with my EX's wishes as far as the "MCSE" cert.. but live n learn!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    Congrats!

BTW I hope you didn't think I was implying you were a moron. I fact you seems to be on top of most of the issues for others.

I had a tech that 'thought' he could 'push from server' in a 12 person office the drivers for a Xerox copier, he trashed the server, cost the Boss 12g to get all set back up again...They were a higher end CPA firm here in the RTP area. Needless to say..Boss was VERY pissed and he was VERY unemployed! ( he moved to CO a few months later..) circ 2002

I regret I ever went with my EX's wishes as far as the "MCSE" cert.. but live n learn!
    Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I have no doubt after reading many of your posts that you would easily be able to learn and pass the MCSE.

The fact is "I like working on Printers / Copiers". I can completely rid a Desktop / Laptop of all "Malware", "Viruses'" and in less than an hour. The customer can manage to reinfect the entire machine (Yes even with Virus and Malware protection).

The main reason I learned the MCSE materials was to be able to lock down network computers from end users doing dumb things. (Like opening email attachments from people they don't know) As well as making life easier for me to setup new Copiers / Printers in network environments where there is no dedicated IT on staff.

Through GPO, SonicWall, server configurations, etc.. It can be done, but then all you hear is that they can't do what they do at home, and are resentful.

Give me a nice copier with a bad fuser, or a printer that needs feed rolls, etc. Nobody bitches at me, and what I fixed stays fixed!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

update to the latest and greatest print driver from lexmark and set default to black and white during the install. yes it's a pain depending on the number of PCs....

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Got it done.

L O N G Time back I got my MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) so I am not a moron when it comes to servers.

Thanks for all replies

It's been MY past experience that "MCSE" usually stood for "Must Call Someone Else"...LOL!! Nice to see a tech who knows his stuff!

Well done....well done indeed!

Seriously though, I hope you billed them for your time.