Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XS658de DF Skew

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

XS658de DF Skew

Have an XS658de that is skewing only through the document feeder. Machine prints fine, copies off the glass fine, and second side through the document feeder is fine. Only the side where the image is taken at the slit glass skews. Had this happening in a customers office, and after a lengthy fight got Lexmark to replace the machine. Only trouble is the new machine does the same thing. I've looked at the scanner assembly while in slit-glass scanning position, but can't see anything that jumps out at me. Have tried the normal scanner rail adjustment, as well as looking at belt tension and scanner assembly position. I'm pretty sure the problem does not reside in the document feeder since we've actually replaced that entire unit once before getting a new machine. My other branches have noticed the same issue, but are fortunate enough to have the machines in an environment where copies are not a main concern. If anyone has seen this I'd greatly appreciate any advice you might have for me.
    Thanks,
    graybeard (Al)

Step aside, noob 1,000+ Posts EarthKmTech's Avatar
    They all skew through the document feeder, out of the box. It'd be more astonishing if you found one that wasnt doing it, along with the usual print head skew & leaking toner cartridges straight out of the (chinese) factory. It's just a matter of how long it takes the customer to notice, if at all.

There are top and bottom warp adjustments for the document feeder in the service menus, from memory there is also a document feeder hinge skew adjustment. But you will never get one perfect, no matter how long you spend on it.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    I agree ,the doc feeders are just garbage.I have three units doing the same thing with no resolve.Good luck and sorry there isn't better news.

Tech boy

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    After showing our salesman the responses here, as well as a similar response from one of our techs at another branch, he still decided to put one out at an insurance company. He asked someone at another office to check for skew, and took their word when they said it was straight. Got the machine here and sure enough.....2 to 3 mm of skew through the DF, and even more when scanned to the computer through the DF. Oh, well.....I'm sure my 22 years as a technician are by far eclipsed by his 5 years in sales......dog years or something like that.
    Thanks for the input.
    Al

Service Manager 250+ Posts landspeeder's Avatar
    Last week we had a Lexmark trainer come to our place for a service coarse on this particular printer and he confirmed that the doc feeders do have a skewing problem etc. and there is no fix...is that kinda cool, no way, not if you own one or have to service it...like me!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    In the same boat.....and no matter what you tell the salesmen, they don't listen. Did you see the "fix" they sent out? A plastic piece that keeps the DF table from opening beyond 8 1/2 inches. I'm gonna fix ALL my copier skewing problems with that one.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Silvertoast's Avatar
    we just started selling lexmarks this past year, and i am the only one that has been to training on these. i have been fighting this issue for awhile now
    yes all of the 658s have df scew. i fought with one for several hours at a time for a couple of days and no luck at all

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar
    Agreed. The doc feeders are AWEFUL on these. The 2 screws under the covers are pretty useless after a certain point. Another thing to watch for is the hinges. They only open to about 45-50 degrees. We've had several customers open them to 90 degrees and then they really have problems.

Service Manager 250+ Posts landspeeder's Avatar
    Well we are at it...what about those big feet that stick out at the base...that people trip over....and get hurt...I am surprised there has not been any law suits yet......or has there?

Service Director
    Has anyone benn able to resolve these skewing issues? I have 3 of these machines out there skewing. Lexmark has a bulletin posted on thier site but, the part #'s they provide are "discontinued"