Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 250+ Posts Silvertoast's Avatar

xs658 900.00 firmware error codes

has anyone seen this or no of a real solution

every 658 we sell and send out to the field eventually throws a 900.00 error

i have been round and round with lexmark tech support and this is there checklist

1. upgrade firmware. ( problem still persist)
    2. restore base defaults ( this will work for a few weeks to a month then it comes back)
    3. replace system board ( has resolved the issue on 9 out of 10, have had 1 or 2 come back with the code again.)

now when i get the code i just warranty order a new sys board and this seems to do it. but i am sick of replacing system boards everytime we sell a new 658.

anyone know of the real cause of this and a solution.

thanx chad

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    We have had one of these that had the 900.00 firmware error. It has been RMA'd. We have issues with lines on the copies even out of the box with the starter carts. Several with solid black second sides when scanning double sided originals.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar
    Try the yellow reset jumper on the main board before replacing it. We have replaced several boards due to a 900 errror...works every time!!! It's all fine and dandy for the first year of warranty, but then what!?

Service Manager 250+ Posts Silvertoast's Avatar
    good suggestion, so what do u do, just move the jumper over for a sec or do u have to power on with jumper moved over??

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar
    Power machine down, then move the jumper over a pin, then power on the machine.

Technician
    We have found using the Lexmark universal print driver to be more reliable than using the standard postscript or PCL driver. This is across all Lexmark's. Has helped reduce 900 errors especially rip errors.

Technician
    Usually there is also a message after 900.00, what can you read in the blue screen?

Colorado Copier Solutions djandl's Avatar
    Chad, I used to work in the customer support center, spent 9 years as a systems engineer, and ended my career as an account manager for Lexmark. 900 errors on not only system board related. 900 RIP or Raster Image Processor error is pointing to something in the data stream that can not be understood by the printer or MFP (in this case the X658 series MFP). Common causes are having a RF or microwave signal too close to the data lines or MFP/Printer. This often scrambles the line, causes collisions in ethernet packets and scrambles them. Basically, what happens next is some information starts to get through, sometimes the information is corrupted and the Raster Image Processor does not understand what is coming through and goes into a protected state and dumps the data. It would be nice if the RIP would simply reset the printer, as it would save Lexmark a ton of money to have the RIP board or system board NOT get replaced. Other commons issues are bad cabling (crimped cables in walls or loose and attached to the RJ-45 ethernet jack) and images that are corrupt in the data. This is difficult to diagnose without tracing the information. Most of the time, if you remove the ethernet, serial, parallel, token ring cables from the printer and turn it off an on and the problem goes away, it is NOT the system board or RIP board. It is something in the cable, it is something in the data stream, it is an image that is causing the error.

There are also secondary codes that can be retrieved in most cases to further diagnose the issue. I have posted the 900 Checklist and 900 discussion on my website at http:/coloradocopiersolutions.com. Hope this helps. Please email me if you have any more questions, or post it to this site. Thanks.

This is another good suggestion. Drivers can cause the 900 errors to appear. Sometimes by trying a Universal Driver for Monochrome or the custom or Microsoft driver, the issues can get resolved. There are also Postscript and PCL driver settings that can help, such as using PCL XL mode (PCL 6) vs PCL 5 mode. Disabling Postscript pass through is another option in the PS driver. Check them out in the printing preferences on the driver. You can check out more tips on my website at Colorado Copier Solutions (720) 881-1547 or sales@coloradocopiersolutions.com or email me at info@coloradocopiersolutions.com.

Check out the troubleshooting a 900 error on our website at Colorado Copier Solutions (720) 881-1547 or sales@coloradocopiersolutions.com under Troubleshooting, Lexmark, 900 errors.