Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Error 31

claudiu

Error 31

The machine had it's cartridge refilled, the chip changed, and still doesn't work. I' ve checked all the wires, rechecked and so on ... When I turn it on, it only displays 31 (witch I've learned missing/wrong cartridge), but still , it doesn't make any noise. I don't know what other things I could try.

Technician

Re: Error 31

The encoder wheel not only tells the printer the current toner level, but it also allows the printer to determines if the cartridge is a use-and-return (prebate) or regular cartridge. The chip stores the cartridge page count. If a use-and-return toner was refilled you will get errors until you replace the chip with the proper replacement.

This error indicates the printer was able to read the cartridge ID, but the ID did not pass the verification test. To pass the verification test, the ID read from the print cartridge must match the ID from the last “good” print cartridge or the same ID must be read from the print cartridge twice. The last “good” print cartridge ID is stored in NVRAM.
    Also note the Machine Class ID must match between the cartridge and the printer. Despite being physically compatible: A genuine Lexmark toner won't work in an unmodified IBM Infoprint printer; A T630 toner won't work in a T520.