Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 100+ Posts
    Lexmark X646 Network Connection Problem

Re: Lexmark X646 Network Connection Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Chameleon View Post
    I have seen this a few times on the X646 where it either doesn't boot or locks up as soon as it boots. Try this:

Turn it off, disconnect the ethernet cable and/or the fax line, turn on and make a test copy.

If it works make sure to delete any print jobs in the queue at your computer before pluging the ethernet cable back in. If it still doesn't work you probably need to replace the NIC card. It's pretty common for an electrical storm to kill the NIC card on any printer.
    I really appreciate your comment.

I do this:

Disconnect from net, it print a test page and do all functions without trouble.
    I try to perform NVRam reset with 6,7,8 in power on, and error 900.00 "Rip software" appears on screen. No NVRam init was performed.
    I read about firmware update or replace the main sys board.

I perform several Lexmark NVResets but in T6XX models and X3XX and the machines respond.

Note: No error is diplayed during boot or other machine operartion, all seems normal until I try to Init NVRam.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts TennWalker's Avatar

Mojorolla is on the same track as I am concerning your network, but also has specific knowledge pertaining to the Lexmark. I would follow his suggestions as opposed to mine because of his knowledge.

For a future point of reference concerning network troubleshooting in general you can purchase a Crossover Ethernet Cable or make one. This cable connects Ethernet ports directly between any printer and your laptop. You can also use any standard Ethernet Cable and purchase a Crossover Adapter, which simply plugs into either end of the standard cable. In almost all cases, you want to statically assign an IP Address for printers that are outside the DHCP range of the router or Server.

You have supplied the following information:

IP: 10.0.195.80
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 10.0.195.1

Then the system ad change the Gateway to 10.0.195.8

If the above IP address was obtained from the DHCP option, this IP address may change over time, especially when the copier is tuned off/on. If it is statically set, the address should never change. This is much the same as not wanting your street address to continually change, you want it to stay consistent. For your current situation, you could set your laptop's IP Address for 10.0.195.5

This fourth number of the IP Address can be any number between 1 and 254, with the exception of 80, which is currently being used by the printer. Once the laptop has a static number set in this range with the Cross-Over Cable between the two devices, you should be able to print to the device and view the webpage while isolating the printer from the entire network.

Again, this is really for future information.
    I thought I was getting wiser as time went on... I now realize I am just getting older.

Service Manager 100+ Posts
    Lexmark X646 Network Connection Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Chameleon View Post
    I have seen this a few times on the X646 where it either doesn't boot or locks up as soon as it boots. Try this:

Turn it off, disconnect the ethernet cable and/or the fax line, turn on and make a test copy.

If it works make sure to delete any print jobs in the queue at your computer before pluging the ethernet cable back in. If it still doesn't work you probably need to replace the NIC card. It's pretty common for an electrical storm to kill the NIC card on any printer.
    I really appreciate your valuable comment, the repair contract wasn't awarded to us.
    I didn't repair the machine but I will keep this valuable information in my records.

I like Lexmark printers and Multinationals, I have a some Lex T620 printers and Lex E232 rented to my customers, It works very nice.

Have a nice day.