Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

MFX 2850 missing PCL?

Customer claimed printer stopped working other day. I loaded PCL driver on my laptop and connected cable to print. Job would go to it and vanish into digital oblivion.

I checked things like configuring port to LPR - nothing. No IP conflicts on network..

Called tech support, guy had me check the settings (life monitor) - there was no PCL according to him. So, painstakingly I loaded Office Bridge driver on all pcs (could not get it to load on their server). All is good now I guess. Never seen this before as I don't really work on Muratecs (I despise them as well).

My question is how can PCL vanish from machine? Is there like a PCL card onboard that perhaps went sour?

Technician

Re: MFX 2850 missing PCL?

Quote Originally Posted by CompyTech View Post
    Customer claimed printer stopped working other day. I loaded PCL driver on my laptop and connected cable to print. Job would go to it and vanish into digital oblivion.

I checked things like configuring port to LPR - nothing. No IP conflicts on network..

Called tech support, guy had me check the settings (life monitor) - there was no PCL according to him. So, painstakingly I loaded Office Bridge driver on all pcs (could not get it to load on their server). All is good now I guess. Never seen this before as I don't really work on Muratecs (I despise them as well).

My question is how can PCL vanish from machine? Is there like a PCL card onboard that perhaps went sour?
    On that model the PCL and PS were options. Only the newest Muratec's like the 3530 come standard with PCL. My guess is this was sold without the optional PCL board.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts faxgoddess's Avatar

The Life Monitor setting is the quickest and easiest way to determine if there is a PCL print option installed. If you are fairly certain that it was installed, your next step is to pull the back cover on the machine and check the main board to see if the PCL is installed. If you do have it installed, then you may want to pull it off and reinstall. If it shows in the life monitor at that point, then you're good to go. It IS possible for boards to fail.
    "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will."
    --Vince Lombardi

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by faxgoddess View Post
    The Life Monitor setting is the quickest and easiest way to determine if there is a PCL print option installed. If you are fairly certain that it was installed, your next step is to pull the back cover on the machine and check the main board to see if the PCL is installed. If you do have it installed, then you may want to pull it off and reinstall. If it shows in the life monitor at that point, then you're good to go. It IS possible for boards to fail.
    I did indeed learn about the life monitor. That's how tech supt told there was no option installed.

Actually I ended up opening the back of the machine a couple weeks ago to change a write unit(pH assy).
    Noticed it did have the pcl card, only it had came loose from the slot. Customer is printing fine now so I'm leaving well alone.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts faxgoddess's Avatar

I did indeed learn about the life monitor. That's how tech supt told there was no option installed.

Actually I ended up opening the back of the machine a couple weeks ago to change a write unit(pH assy).
    Noticed it did have the pcl card, only it had came loose from the slot. Customer is printing fine now so I'm leaving well alone.
    That's always a plus! I bet someone moved the machine and that PCL managed to work its way loose. Glad you were able to fix it.
    "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will."
    --Vince Lombardi