Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Greetings Everyone..

Quote Originally Posted by Rfts View Post
    Thanks BlackCat for the information provided, I don't really have any experience on copier machine and I come out with that figure from the information the salesman gave me.
    Can I know where can I get more information on how people rate copier machines ?

I came out with the calculation by this way, canon 4570 PPM is 45 , so 45 x 60 minutes x 10 hours per day x 20 days per month = 540,000 pages per month. I expect a 50% downtime of each machine, so I thought that 2 machines will be sufficient to do 500k prints per month.

Additional information * I intend to print out only A3 papers

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm really willing to learn.
    If you seriously intend the volume that you are describing you'll have closer to 75% down time. Assuming that you hired an employee whose only job was to load paper, remove finished jobs, remove jams, and load toner, the machine would not survive long at 10 hours constant running time per day. And that 45 cpm is based on letter size paper fed the 8 1/2" direction. Ledger size pages feed at ~22 cpm, Legal size pages at ~28 cpm. And those A3/ledger size print increment as two copies each on single side, four copies each when duplexed.

This is a common misconception. A photocopier is not a press. The manufacturers recommendations are typically optimistic by a factor of 2x, so in real life you can expect the Canon to survive at an average monthly rate of 17K/2 = 85,000 pages per month.

If you try to do this with two machines, both will be in the dumpster within 3 months. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts
    Greetings Everyone..

Well said Blackcat, well said.
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

Technician
    What if I don't run the machines for 10 hours straight ?? Will it make a difference if I would just run 1 machine for an hour then let it rest for another hour and start again ?

By doing this, each machine will only print out 13500 pages per day and only will be on for 5 hours per day.

Another question is, why would the machines be in the dumpster within 3 months if I run them continuously ? Which part of the machine will spoil ?

Last thing I notice is that you all concentrate more on Canon machines, how bout the Toshiba machine I mentioned ?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Greetings Everyone..

If I can speak for Screwtape, we both know more about the Canon. I was more familiar with the Toshiba machines of the 1990's. I try to speak only on subjects that I have some knowledge.

I'll put this in the most basic mathematical terms. 13500 x 30 = 405,000 prints per month
    That's 235,000 more copies than the manufacturer recommends, and 320,000 more copies than you can reasonably expect from average use in a single month.

All the parts will fail in short order. But please don't take my advice. I will be much more educational for you to purchase you're two machines now, then in a few months purchase a few more, then in a few months purchase a few more, ...
    The servicing company will be more than happy to explain these exact same points to you.

I will return to my original point. A photocopier is not a press, and is not designed for many hour, continuous runs. That is why the manufacturer assigns monthly volume recommendations. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Greetings Everyone..

You will kill the Toshiba just as fast.
    The rubber transport rollers wear each copy, motors wear bearings and paper dust infects sensors.
    This is why you will kill a 45cpm machine in months at that volume.

If you are looking at such a high volume, look into a digital duplicator.
    They are much faster and use ink which produce a better straight B/W than a copier.
    Copiers process grey scales better and have more features.
    This will save you money on your high volume and buy a 45cpm machine for the detailed work.

The majoity on this site are techs, not sales.
    We have no reason to BS you and it will save a fellow tech the nightmare of servicing a machine that can't handle what you are doing.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

toner monkey 100+ Posts jamesyboy's Avatar
    500k a month 10 hours a day
    is the sales man really quoting on small kit for this

go big ricoh ,you need a printroom machine is3090 06 similar

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Greetings Everyone..

Quote Originally Posted by Rfts View Post
    Hey There, just found this forum recently and I'm not only a newbie in this forum, I'm also a newbie in printing.

Welcome

Technician
    ok guys, let me get this clear, I calculated that a canon IR 4070 with 45 ppm can produce 13500 copies per day, that is too much for that machine to copy, if i were to print out so much pages a day, a machine with how many ppm is the best with the lowest cost I could get ?

* Reply to jamesyboy, I don't think I can find any ricoh machine here, I'm from Malaysia and most of the machines I see people using here are Canon