Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    dannyboy7796

Sharp MX-4501N copier problem

Hi

This is my first post here. We've (just; in the last week or so) got an (apparently new) Sharp MX4501N copier, obtained by myself, and it's not gone down well.

I've read reviews of this machine online and as far as I know, for the most part, people are happy with this model. That is why this is peculiar. One problem (which I fixed) was copy quality which was caused by the default copy setting being 200x200dpi.

One thing I can't fix though is that the machine seems to be completely unable to scan to Vista/Windows 7 machines; a problem since two of the directors here are running that OS. The research I have done suggests this may be caused by the firmware being out of date but I can't find it available for download anywhere. The guy from the company we got it from said that he normally solves the problem by installing an FTP server on the machines which need connecting, something I really don't want to do.

Does anyone know where I can get the firmware from? I'm getting desperate here.

(Please?)

Ta.

Dan

OMD-227
    That is not a firmware issue at all.

Unless you are running early production 2006 engine firmware (which is impossible if you say this machine is new), then its got nothing to do with it.

Scanning to windows 7 & Vista is abit more involved due to specific security settings on those operating systems. They are locked down alot more than older software.

I can send you the step-by-step procedure of network scanning setup if that will help you. Are you scanning to Sharpdesk, email or network folder? Just shoot me through your email.

Just out of curiosity, what are the firmware levels at? Print the system settings page and let us know. That will be a good indication if things are up to date or not.

dannyboy7796
    Well, I'm not convinced the machine /is/ new TBH.

I'm scanning to network shares. The windows 7 and Vista shares worked just fine with the previous machine (Konica Minolta C250)

I've tried adding passwords to no avail. I've tried using IPs instead of share names to no avail. I've even tried switching on guest shares (which everyone should be able to access). Nada. Error CE-00 every time, to both Vista and 7.

dannyboy7796
    Firmware versions:
    PCU: 01.15.J0
    Main: 02.07.J0
    Boot: 01.01.00
    Scanner: 01.12.J0

dannyboy7796
    The guy from the photocopier place we got the thing from has paid us a visit.

New firmware settings:
    PCU: 01.15.J0
    MAIN: 02a11.J0
    BOOT: 01.01.00
    Scanner: 01.13.J0

It solved the problem instantly for one of the Windows 7 machines and, with a little tweaking (I'd been fiddling with the settings so much I'd managed to screw them up for this machine) the Windows Vista machine.

One Windows 7 machine is being awkward, however. At least now I know it isn't the photocopier.

OMD-227
    The firmware you had to start with was very, very old (like I said earlier that it would be), and the firmware you have now is still old. Its actually only half updated. the PCU should be 01.18.J0.
    Get this done properly. Its always a great idea to have the whole firmware set updated as a set, not just updating some components. Its designed to work with the versions created at the same time. Having a current Main & very old PCU is not going to help the machine at all.

dannyboy7796
    It's just what the technician guy from the company we've leased the copier from installed.

As far as I'm concerned, that IS 'getting it done properly'.

I don't have access to the download page in question so I can't do it myself.

I will, however, ask him why he didn't perform the full update next time he's here (it seems to be working OK for now, touch wood).

Bryan holmes
    Well..Its to build a brand image.LG n Samsung are well known companies and their demand never falls..So the only thin Sharp can do is to lessen their price.Its just their marketing strategy and you can call it "Price skimming strategy"..Jus to skim the cream of the market..Their initial prices would be low and would increase the price as competition rises!.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Sharp MX-4501N copier problem

Hi,
    I have the same printer and I have problem with sending scan to email.
    The scanner used to work before until they changed their website and they use gmail server.
    The IT guy put new email and SMTP information and I checked too but I got error "CE-00" on the printer when I tried to scan to send email. I would greatly appreciated If you can send me "how to set up scan to email guide. Thanks in advance.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Sharp MX-4501N copier problem

Re: Sharp MX-4501N copier problem

With gmail you have to enable SSL, there are some workarounds, but see if that works first.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --