Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    libertylakelibrary

New to Copy Machine Repair and could use some feedback.

Hello,

My name is Travis, I work for the Liberty Lake Municipal Library in Liberty Lake WA. I do IT for the library as well as computer repair. After seeing how much money my library spends every month to simply have a Copier Repair Company at the ready, I convinced the director to end the contract and allow me to do the servicing. I have two questions: 1. Have a made a horrible mistake going down this path? 2. Can anybody suggest an online training course in Copier Repair?

The Copier we have, is a Panasonic DP-C213. I am not too concerned with the actual repair aspect of working on this printer, rather the troubleshooting and preventative maintenance part. I would like to get some training in Panasonic Copier servicing, but have had no luck getting started.

If any of you could point me in the right direction or even give me an idea of the hell I have gotten myself into, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your time.

Travis

Administrator 500+ Posts Aneurysm's Avatar
    Welcome to the site.
    --
    Snap, Crackle, Aneurysm!

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Re: New to Copy Machine Repair and could use some feedback.

Run, you have entered a trade that few ever escape, or at least buy a manual from Paul@justmanuals.com
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts livewire's Avatar

Hi Travis, Welcome to CTN!

Good luck in the new beginning.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts DWise's Avatar

Welcome to CTN!!
    Do for one what you wished you could do for everyone. - Andy Stanley

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

You've set yourself up for some real challenges. The preventative maintenance aspects of this job are not the difficult part. Anybody can buy a manual, open it, and read what to do.

Diagnostics is totally a different story. The skill of diagnosing problems is built on experience, and it sounds like you are starting with none. In addition, as a dealer I am exposed primarily two three brands of equipment, or perhaps 100 specific models. You may find that it can be a relatively painful experience building the required level of experience, especially without backup. It was at least 3 years before I had the requisite experience, and confidence to take calls on completely unknown equipment, with any expectation of fixing it.

Each manufacturer signs up dealers to sell their equipment, and sets up training to train the technicians. Since you are not a dealer and not selling machines, the manufacturer has no incentive to train you at any price.

I'm sure there are plenty of independents that can offer you more specific advice. All I can say is that this isn't going to be easy for you. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

libertylakelibrary

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    You've set yourself up for some real challenges. The preventative maintenance aspects of this job are not the difficult part. Anybody can buy a manual, open it, and read what to do.

Diagnostics is totally a different story. The skill of diagnosing problems is built on experience, and it sounds like you are starting with none. In addition, as a dealer I am exposed primarily two three brands of equipment, or perhaps 100 specific models. You may find that it can be a relatively painful experience building the required level of experience, especially without backup. It was at least 3 years before I had the requisite experience, and confidence to take calls on completely unknown equipment, with any expectation of fixing it.

Each manufacturer signs up dealers to sell their equipment, and sets up training to train the technicians. Since you are not a dealer and not selling machines, the manufacturer has no incentive to train you at any price.

I'm sure there are plenty of independents that can offer you more specific advice. All I can say is that this isn't going to be easy for you. =^..^=
    I had a feeling that was the case, but the gouging we were getting from the company we purchased the copier from was just too much. Every month we paid them about $120 to just be able to call them when we needed them. On top of that, we had to pay 1 cent for every black print and a whopping 9 cents for every color print. Also, if we needed service we paid both the labor and the parts at their mark up. I am all for making money, but I felt like we were being taken advantage. Charging us for service and parts I have zero problem with, but to charge of for every print when we own the printer, the toner, and the paper is just too hard of a pill to swallow. So I will likely regret my decision, but I still think it was best for my Library. Thanks for the heads up, I do appreciate the honesty.

Travis

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by libertylakelibrary View Post
    I had a feeling that was the case, but the gouging we were getting from the company we purchased the copier from was just too much. Every month we paid them about $120 to just be able to call them when we needed them. On top of that, we had to pay 1 cent for every black print and a whopping 9 cents for every color print. Also, if we needed service we paid both the labor and the parts at their mark up. I am all for making money, but I felt like we were being taken advantage. Charging us for service and parts I have zero problem with, but to charge of for every print when we own the printer, the toner, and the paper is just too hard of a pill to swallow. So I will likely regret my decision, but I still think it was best for my Library. Thanks for the heads up, I do appreciate the honesty.

Travis
    Well, that lease payment isn't going anywhere. 1 cent for black and 9 cents for color is just right for a specific volume. Service contracts are like an insurance policy. Sometimes there are few claims, sometimes there are many claims. When a contract is priced right, you can cover the costs of both the low maintenance and the high maintenance customers ... and maybe make a profit too.

I only takes one high maintenance customer to suck the profit out of dozens of low maintenance contracts. And you don't know which are which until you're locked in for at least a year, maybe longer. You probably noticed that your copier tech wasn't driving a Lexus or wearing a three piece suit. And he doesn't live in a McMansion. And the dealership isn't paved with gold bricks. A lot of thought goes into contract pricing ... but you'll find out soon enough. Happy learning. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts skookumchuck's Avatar

Talking Re: New to Copy Machine Repair and could use some feedback.

I would recomend that you get a new company to work on your existing machine or a new machine from a different company after getting information about their service pricing policies. Copiers aren't rocket science--yet. Then, what happens when the powers that be decide to replace the copier from a different manufacture. Then you have to start almost, but not quite, from the beginning. There is at least one place I saw on the net a while back that has copier repair training & certification that is not model specific. Sorry, can't remember who it is.

libertylakelibrary

Quote Originally Posted by skookumchuck View Post
    I would recomend that you get a new company to work on your existing machine or a new machine from a different company after getting information about their service pricing policies. Copiers aren't rocket science--yet. Then, what happens when the powers that be decide to replace the copier from a different manufacture. Then you have to start almost, but not quite, from the beginning. There is at least one place I saw on the net a while back that has copier repair training & certification that is not model specific. Sorry, can't remember who it is.
    If you think of the place that does the training, I would greatly appreciate it. If I could become proficient in copier repair, the training cost would be worth it in future savings.