Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Epson DFX-8500 need advice for unknown machine

It has become common to be sent to a machine that I haven't seen or heard of. This is one of them. Originally the customer had three machines that the tractors became misaligned. I got a manual and replaced them. Awhile later they managed to break one of the tractors, and I replaced it again. They had another one they said kept rejecting and unloading the forms. I brought it to the shop,loaded it, and ran several feet of paper the first time without problem.
    They called again later to say on two machines the tractors were misaligned again. They also said the other machine was rejecting forms and randomly blowing fuses.
    If anyone knows these things, I wonder if it's common for the tractors to become misaligned,why, and what can be done about it. Also, even though I have the manual, I wouldn't know where to start to check what voltages or resistance is happening to blow a fuse or reject the paper.
    Any guidance from someone knowledgeable will be greatly appreciated.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Epson DFX-8500 need advice for unknown machine

Quote Originally Posted by tmw View Post
    It has become common to be sent to a machine that I haven't seen or heard of. This is one of them. Originally the customer had three machines that the tractors became misaligned. I got a manual and replaced them. Awhile later they managed to break one of the tractors, and I replaced it again. They had another one they said kept rejecting and unloading the forms. I brought it to the shop,loaded it, and ran several feet of paper the first time without problem.
    They called again later to say on two machines the tractors were misaligned again. They also said the other machine was rejecting forms and randomly blowing fuses.
    If anyone knows these things, I wonder if it's common for the tractors to become misaligned,why, and what can be done about it. Also, even though I have the manual, I wouldn't know where to start to check what voltages or resistance is happening to blow a fuse or reject the paper.
    Any guidance from someone knowledgeable will be greatly appreciated.
    use your ohm meter.. make sure the voltage isn't going over projected levels ( +5% over is a problem) if it does make them get an electrician out there.. they could also have a positive on the ground.. (5volt ok + that bad)

make sure their cords are in good condition.

as far as the tractor feeds.. sound like they may be yanking on it.. never had one get out of alignment

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thank you for your suggestions,Phil. Now I just need to determine which contact points to start testing on.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tmw View Post
    Thank you for your suggestions,Phil. Now I just need to determine which contact points to start testing on.
    test your wall outlet first... that will tell you if you have proper voltage 115v-120v MAX also it it goes below 90v I would be concerned... you will need to have schematics from the manual to see other test points on the board.... double check the fuses

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Sorry for adding useless information. Wow!! Been many years since I touched one of these DFX models. The only impact models I deal with now are the Unisys 2280's (rebranded Tally 2280+'s)