Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Xerox Colorcube 8870 clicking noise

I try to stay away from Xerox and therefore don't know their equipment that well. Hate to turn away a new account that may lead to more business, upgrade, etc. Figured I would go out and take a look for something obvious. Told them if I can't repair no charge. Free estimates is my policy anyway.

All they could tell me was there is a clicking noise and don't work. Person wasn't near the machine to check for codes, etc.

Any ideas appreciated (besides run away, haha)

Thanks in advance

Re: UPDATE. Xerox Colorcube 8870 clicking noise

I went out there today and this is what I found. When I slid out the maint kit roller there was a rubber blade with jagged edges on it just laying there. I'm assuming this was the drum cleaning blade? The clicking happen during warm up as the maint kit mechanism moved, after a few tries an error came up, code 94.700.
    I know the code is for the Process drive so I took off right side cover and all the gear look good but the gears jumped when moving the metal plate maint roller assembly sits on.

Not sure where to start? There are several items listed under 94.700 (process drive fault) in service manual that could cause this code.

Like I said don't know Xerox that well so not sure what part would most likely cause this clicking noise & code. Unless there is something very common that would cause this or something simple like the broken cleaning blade that was laying inside I may just tell customer to call someone else. Hate to do that because this is a good size new account with a lot of copiers, printers ( machines I'm familiar with) and I would like to get my foot in the door.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Xerox Colorcube 8870 clicking noise

it could be several things with the process drive... gears not aligned or the frame studs that hold the PD gears could be broken.
    Iteminc.com 800-367-4836 Whit R. can help you with that kits... you have some disassembly work to get the kit in.. you will need a drill the kit comes with the bit and metal studs to repair it. I would go out and align the gears to begin with.
    I have the SM if needed.
    I have done this repair about 5 times now.. works well.

good luck

Thanks Phil, I'll try to align the gears first. What about that blade that was laying on top of the maint roller you slide out on right side? I see there are 2 blades in the parts manual (drum & print head), I was thinking drum blade but could it be the printhead blade where it was laying? Can't really see them in manual. Did a google search and looked at pics of both and they almost look the same as one that fell out of machine, but different part #'s.

I have the serv & parts manual. Thanks for offer

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Thanks Phil, I'll try to align the gears first. What about that blade that was laying on top of the maint roller you slide out on right side? I see there are 2 blades in the parts manual (drum & print head), I was thinking drum blade but could it be the printhead blade where it was laying? Can't really see them in manual. Did a google search and looked at pics of both and they almost look the same as one that fell out of machine, but different part #'s.

I have the serv & parts manual. Thanks for offer
    there should be one mounted to the machine front of the maintenance ( white oil ) roller in the pull out tray.. it SHOULD not be laying ON TOP of the white roller but attached to the front side of that tray.. if it is not replace maintenance tray. the printhead one is the wiper blade that moves up to wipe the ports on the printhead...

be careful .. do not move the printer quickly or tilt it while the ink is still in liquid form... it CAN toast the machine. ( had a customer that tilted his almost 90degrees to the left to get that tray out... I could not fix it cheaper than cost of new printer)

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

033K04981Re: Xerox Colorcube 8870 clicking noise

You are going to need a drum cleaning blade and possibly drum maintenance cam shaft. Part# 033K04981 and 008K02370.