Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Dell 2335: Door Open, Close Toner Door

Here's a weird one for you. I've got an old Dell 2335 that's throwing a false door open message. It looks like some kind of Samsung or Minolta engine.

The device displays a message that says "door open - close toner door" and actuating the front door switch has no effect. Unless you open the fuser door! When the fuser door is open it displays an error about that, but actuating the front door switch works as expected; the "close toner door" message disappears when its switch is activated.

Based on this I know that both switches are working, electromechanically speaking. The device appears to be having some kind of door-open logic failure.

Anybody run into this before? Any ideas?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Dell 2335: Door Open, Close Toner Door

Quote Originally Posted by pebkac View Post
    Here's a weird one for you. I've got an old Dell 2335 that's throwing a false door open message. It looks like some kind of Samsung or Minolta engine.

The device displays a message that says "door open - close toner door" and actuating the front door switch has no effect. Unless you open the fuser door! When the fuser door is open it displays an error about that, but actuating the front door switch works as expected; the "close toner door" message disappears when its switch is activated.

Based on this I know that both switches are working, electromechanically speaking. The device appears to be having some kind of door-open logic failure.

Anybody run into this before? Any ideas?

If it's an old dell.. could be a Xerox engine.
    so if you go into diags.. do the switches respond individually - or - does it take fuser door to make all respond correctly?
    what have you tried to correct it?
    *blow canned air in both sensors.* does a cloud appear?
    can you get the message to clear at all? try and print error list
    ok have the 2330d/dn manual.. check rear door by fuser.. sensor in there.. check to make sure it moves smoothly..also check exit/fuser guides for melting/warping .
    Last edited by Phil B.; 01-26-2019 at 12:22 AM. Reason: added info

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Samsung SCX-5x30 series

Maybe those two connectors on the controller board got reversed? Not real sure if they CAN be reversed. Might be different connectors on the controller board to prevent that. Very strange issue.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Nikola Karamanov's Avatar

There is switch on HVPS (bottom side). You can shunting ! This is the way I resolve the problem!

Thanks for the replies.

Both switches appear to be soldered directly onto the HVPS. I was hoping for a simple cable issue--something like splicing cables to defeat the switch would work in this situation--but no such luck.

Nikola, can you tell me more about this fix? Are you suggesting I short the solder pads for the switches, so that they're permanently closed? Or is there something else down there?

As I said, both switches appear to be working fine, so I don't understand how that would help. Also, the bottom of the HVPS is shielded and it doesn't seem straightforward to remove the shield. If you have any more notes I'd love to hear them.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Nikola Karamanov's Avatar

You have to get out whole board, (remove back and right covers, duplex motor, pick up roller), remove the switch (resoldering) and shunting two pins. After that the open door error will gone, the switch will not run, but you will resolve the problem. (Without this switch there is no message for "open door" its not important). ITS WORKING TO ME!!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Until the customer shoves their hands into the cavity of the printer to remove a jammed piece of paper and electrocutes themselves on the high voltage contacts for the toner cartridge.