Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    jestera

OKI c9300 Paper thickness adjustment

Am trying to fix one of these for a friend. OKI are not a speciality of mine so have hit a stumbling block. Prints have been coming out occasionally unfused. Have tested the fuser unit and voltages and temperature within ranges. Checked paper thickness values and they are slightly out, enough to make it think its printing on thicker stock. Have tried adjusting the lever manually but that knocks it out more. I have looked through SM and it has a procedure for setting paper thickness values using transparency sheets. It mentions using an OKI utility adjustmm.exe which I can't find any reference to anywhere except for in the SM. Have the transparencies but no way of getting it to reset the values. Anyone advise on this. A colleague has said that that the Xerox 7300 does all of this via the control panel, but its different on these. Any help appreciated.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Let's back up just a little bit.

Is the user setting the appropriate media type on the machine panel, and in the print driver? By far, this is the most common cause for poorly fused copies.

Okidata does something unique in their fusers. At the conclusion of the print cycle the fuser motor reverses to release fixing pressure. When it begins the print cycle it also reverses to apply fixing pressure. Ideally, the motor would reverse (1) full rotation, 360 degrees. Sometimes the fuser motor reverses ~380 degrees, just a little too far, so there is no fixing pressure.

There is a simple solution to this problem. Remove the top cover from the fuser, Manually drive the fuser in reverse to engage the fixing pressure. Then remove the two stage gear that drives the fixing pressure engagement, so that it will forever stay engaged. Reinstall the top cover.

For jam removal you'll still have the two levers to release fixing pressure. There are no negative side effects.

The paper thickness sensor does not provide any compensation for paper thickness. It does not change fixing temperature. Only changing the media settings in the printers panel, and in the print driver will you get compensation for heavy paper. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

jestera
    Thanks very much for the advice! You're suggestion seems to have done the trick. Just out of interest does the paper thickness sensor value just determine the speed at which it passes through the fuser only?

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Blackcat was dead on for the Fuser fix. I've done it many times. I believe changing the media type slows the machine down, which does the same thing as bumping the fuser temp up. Only it doesn't use as much energy.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Tmaged is correct. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Field Technician 50+ Posts tech1569's Avatar
    Just in case you need reference material.

Oki C9000 and C9300 Service Manual

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

clcokwork67
    Quote Originally Posted by tech1569 View Post
    Just in case you need reference material.

Oki C9000 and C9300 Service Manual

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
    you are quite possibly a lifesaver or at least a stress saver - thanks for download link

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    i just got a C7300 and since there aren't to many post's about this printer i will try askyng here if there are any compatibilities betwen drum's on other manufacturer and if their life can be reseted?
    i bought it second hand and it has about 38k color and 14k mono

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vlad_robas View Post
    i just got a C7300 and since there aren't to many post's about this printer i will try askyng here if there are any compatibilities betwen drum's on other manufacturer and if their life can be reseted?
    As far as I know there are no other compatible drum. As far as resetting the life, it can be done. There is a small fuse that resets the counters when a new drum is installed. It passes current, reset the counter & then pops. We made one with an old drum unit & an fuse soldered in line to do some trouble shooting & reset the one in our shop.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

minuteman31

Re: OKI c9300 Paper thickness adjustment

I recently Aquired an OKI c9800 from a printing company I bought and am having trouble printing envelopes, the quality of the print looks good and they are feeding fine but the envelopes are getting smashed when traveling through the fuser and is showing the flap and all the fold marks as an emboss on the front of the envelopes, I have tried everything to get rid of this, iv tried putting paper in the envelopes, iv tried slowing the printer down, speeding it up, nothing helps.
    is there a way to adjust the pressure of the fuser

please help

Thank you in advance