Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician 250+ Posts

Question Sharp MX-6200N U2-05

We have the manuals and access to Sharp - but not making any meaningful progress. The unit was installed in Sep 08 and has a security kit. Starting in Oct 08 we get an intermitent (random) U2-05 error which always clears with Sim 16. If we remove the security kit, the errors stop.

The DUH factor is "must be something wrong with the kit" but Sharp says no way - but just to be sure, we should replace the security kit to see if the issue goes away. A rather costly "SWAG" since they will not allow us to return it if the problem remains.

We lean towards replacing the kit - but with Sharps no return policy that could be a costly "non-fix". I (grasping at straws) wonder if it could be the MFP PWB, cable, or HDD having the failure that is only noticed when the erasing process of the security kit functions.

Looking for anyone else that has had the U2-05 issue that was resolved.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Sharp MX-6200N U2-05

The code indicates a HDD or SRAM error. I know it's not cheap, but for me the next clear step is to re-format or replace the hard drive. The security kit makes the HDD overwrite the most recent document on the HDD. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician 250+ Posts
    Thank you for the info. If it is an HDD issue, then removing the kit should not have an impact - but we replaced the HDD with a new one a couple months ago - still same problem (when security kit is installed). We have the HDD cable on-hand and thinking about the MFP PWB, but I am still not able to make the "link" between the code and JUST the security kit.

OMD-227
    There is a good chance it could be the MFP you know.

Obviously, your firmware is current & correct version? A while back in an earlier version release notes, it mentions that the U2-05 code will not be notified upon E7-03 trouble. If your trouble codes list E7-03, change the HDD again (anything over 80Gb IDE). If no E7-03 codes are present, its time for a new MFP. Simply follow the device clone procedures for data transfer to new MFP.

Blackcat makes a good point about the HDD format/replacement, as your issue only seems to appear when the security kit is installed. But if it was my machine, I'm thinking MFP, as the HDD is quite new and your problem is still present. Never seen a HDD cable go bad or a faulty security kit of any kind, but check all cables/plugs for correct placement & fitting.

My heart says HDD, but my head says MFP with what you have done so far.

Technician 250+ Posts
    Just got back from the machine (4 hrs 1-way). I replaced the HDD and the HDD harness - tested good. Re-installed the security kit - tested good, so far. In the past the code normally would pop up about every 6 weeks or so - so now comes the wait game.

I was thinking about the MFP myself - but cannot get past my mental block of it only happening when the security kit is installed. Sharp says the chance of the MFP being the problem is even less than that of the security kit - but again, you, another tech, and I keep looking towards the MFP.

Seems this is not a common issue as I have not heard from anyone having a simular issue. We only have a couple dozen units configured like this one but none of the others have any problems.

Unless the code comes back I will let this thread close. I appreciate the input and have my fingers crossed.

OMD-227
    We have heaps of C-Dragons too, but only a few with a security kit. Have not had the same problem as you with this particular configuration, so only going off past experience with other MX series machines.

Dont go back that distance without an MFP next time. (4hrs each way......... Wow!)
    Is that cross-town or country driving??

Technician 250+ Posts
    It is a long drive with lots of adventure - lucky for me this is the only machine giving problems and I can do my regular PMs by groups.

A total of about 40 miles is Interstate, the rest is paved country roads up/down through mountain passes, valleys, high country desert etc as they are located in the middle of a National forest. May be hard to believe but we are actually the closest Canon/Sharp dealer to many of the forest service stations in the Washington/Oregon area. There is one account (part of the same forest service) two more hours away.

A pretty drive during daylight in the summer. The rest of year I have to deal with fog, ice, snow, rockslides, farm vehicles, deer, elk, wild turkeys, the ocassional wolf, and little guys like racoons and skunks . Round trip is just under 400 miles but critters, road conditions and blind turns keep your speed down.

Just read what I said above and it really isn't all that bad - just gets interesting at times. Pays the bills and "country people" just seem to be a lot easier to deal with.

Re: Sharp MX-6200N U2-05

Hi,

did you try in the Tech Menue:

No.16: U2 Trouble Cancellattion

or

No.62 No.1 HDD Format?

U2 Trouble Cancellation worked by me.

Kind regards