Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts blackdog's Avatar

Oki MB451w the beast!

Hey anyone out there selling this little beast and attempting to connect it wireless using a netgear usb adapter on a desktop or notebook?
    I've tried 3 different PC's with 3 different OS, attempted manual, auto push-button setup methods till blue in the face.
    Downloaded updates with no, nadda results.
    If anyone has had any success setting up this little beast wireless I'd sure appreciate some advise.
    Thanks

Technician 500+ Posts

Re: Oki MB451w the beast!

PM me with an email address to send you a doc that may help. Its 12MB. I tried to send it via this post, but it will not load.

I have set one up wireless before.

Quote Originally Posted by copiman View Post
    PM me with an email address to send you a doc that may help. Its 12MB. I tried to send it via this post, but it will not load.

I have set one up wireless before.
    Did you get my PM?

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

You can let the machine scan for wireless routers. Select the one you want and fill in the password. After the machine is connected to the router it wil get an IP-adress (if DHCP is available on the router). If it got one you can use this as a fixed IP-adress and switch DHCP off on the machine. See if the router is not using MAC-Adress Control or some other restriction.
    Make sure you're not using the ethernet connection at the same time. Only one can be active.

BTW, this is all in the user manual....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1968 View Post
    You can let the machine scan for wireless routers. Select the one you want and fill in the password. After the machine is connected to the router it wil get an IP-adress (if DHCP is available on the router). If it got one you can use this as a fixed IP-adress and switch DHCP off on the machine. See if the router is not using MAC-Adress Control or some other restriction.
    Make sure you're not using the ethernet connection at the same time. Only one can be active.

BTW, this is all in the user manual....
    This may be all cool to you but the beast scans and will time out every time without results on both ends (router). I have referenced user manual, if I had success I wouldn't be on this site wasting my time as well as everyone else.
    The router has a mac address that I use as ssid when using auto scan. I also disable security. Gateway address 0.0.0.0 on oki, is this normal? Wired connections are disconnected.

Thanks to all and especially the PM from Copiman.
    Here's the scoop, I am one of the last "hands on Copier Tech's" and not a "button pusher", networking is not my forte. Anyway after some research the USB network adapter I was using will not work as a stand alone wireless access point. I installed a router with a Ethernet cable and did a WPS and BINGO all fell into place.
    So lesson learned, if a nerd such as myself visits this thread with the same issue, USE A WIRELESS ROUTER WITH A ETHERNET CABLE!