Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Brother MFC-9130CW

Brother MFC-9130CW

Don't work on Brother units but a customer asked me to look at this. Machine has in the display slide green tab on drum (see attached) My question is how do you determine which drum unit is causing this issue ? I've moved all the corona cleaners back and forth and return them to the home position but the message still persist.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Brother MFC-9130CW

Re: Brother MFC-9130CW

i work on brother but it is a difficult as no parts available from brother. basically there is a short to ground in the high voltage (the corona wire is shorting out to ground) look closely at all corona assy. you may find a piece of lint or a cat hair, you could try bowing out with air. good luck

This is usually caused by customers ignoring the change drum soon message as Brother products do not stop when drum life reaches end.
    Go to reports and print out the user settings report
    At the bottom will be a series of rectangles indicating life remaining for each of the consumables
    It blocks in in black the remaining life so if you have a wholly white rectangle then that part is at end of life.
    Also can be caused by using non original toners that leave a coating on the drums.

The machine is looking at the potential difference between a charged and non charged area and when the gap closes because either the drum is coated or worn it throws this message

Hope this helps

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Brother MFC-9130CW

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
    This is usually caused by customers ignoring the change drum soon message as Brother products do not stop when drum life reaches end.
    Go to reports and print out the user settings report
    At the bottom will be a series of rectangles indicating life remaining for each of the consumables
    It blocks in in black the remaining life so if you have a wholly white rectangle then that part is at end of life.
    Also can be caused by using non original toners that leave a coating on the drums.

The machine is looking at the potential difference between a charged and non charged area and when the gap closes because either the drum is coated or worn it throws this message

Hope this helps
    Thanks! I'll print out the report and get the life status and go from there

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Brother MFC-9130CW

did you clean the contacts on the inside of the machine and the drums ( on sides )? I have had this happen before... you should go to maintenance mode 80 and look at the error code it might give you more info. More often than not the drums need to be replaced.

If the problem persists after cleaning the corona wires, the drums electrical contacs and the ones inside the machine, you will need to replace the drum units, they probably reached the end of its service life.

Mfr Part #: Brother DR221CL

After replacing them, dont forget to reset the counter:

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Brother MFC-9130CW

are you sure the slider is locked into the home position. you can slide it and it will stop. but pressing a little bit more you will feel it move slightly into the home position. just a simple check you might have done already on all of the drums.