Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Noah

RISO HC 5500 - Temperamental Paper Jam

Dear Forum Members,

I have a RISO HC 5500 that consistently jams when printing regardless of paper type; stock paper, standard printer paper, envelopes. There is no consistent amount of paper that goes through before it jams (can be between 1 page and maybe 150) but it will always jam.

If the jams happens one page after the other, we replace the ream of paper in the belief that the jam is specific to the ream. Somehow, this works and we have some temporary success. However, when printing on both sides, paper that once went through, will now jam. If the paper jams once, it is almost guaranteed to always jam.

We have done various things to the paper - such fanning it out, compressing it together, etc. nothing seems to consistently work.

We have had RISO technicians in here several times but whatever relief they bring is temporary.

As for our printing habits, we print about 10,000 pieces a month, probably using the machine 4 times or so. We would use it more if it worked better.

I thought that it might be the ink drying up due to the amount we use it or dust from the paper - but I believe the jamming to be too inconsistent to be that.

Does anybody know if this is a common problem with the RISO HC 5500 and more importantly, does anybody have any ideas of what could be the issue and how to fix it.

Thank you.

on the HC5500 there is a plate with a sensor for picking up paper that is too thick. If this is not adjusted correctly it can cause your problem. A place for your Riso tech's to check.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    The 5500 are more forgiving with that plate and paper jams as they are designed to handle thicker paper. Noah, were is the machine jamming at? Can you tell me the number on the screen or the location? Are you SURE!!!!! you closed the duplex jam gate all the way? I find that sucker is NEVER closed all the way.

Not to toot my own horn (but I will) I was one of the first people in the USA to get trained on the HC. So I've had some experience with them.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Noah

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback.

I do believe that the Riso tech guy did adjust the sensor but will check again.

I will tell you what I think I know. The jam usually happens inside the feeder. I believe the it is usually a #2 but if it gets through that, the jam can be in the bottom center, usually the same place in the middle.

The more I learn about the machine, I realize that it could be due to the duplex printing cycle and that some of the paper that gets jammed up front, is not actually the problem, but gets stuck their because of some other aspect of the duplex printing system.

For instance, when we were printing envelopes, somehow the Riso 5500 was sending it through the duplex process and it would consistently jam. So it might be Riso 5500 Duplex Jam Guard - I am not sure where that is. I tried looking it up online but couldn't find it. Next time the Riso tech is in (which should be shortly), I will have him check it out.

But that does not answer the case why the first piece of paper through jams and why some of the exact same paper (but different reams) works and some doesn't. Often on thicker paper there are "scrapes" on the bottom side of the page about 3/4 of inch from the sides starting from the edge that enters first. We have adjusted all the manual ways we could. It can work for a while and then not again.

Our Riso tech says that all paper is different and that it has more to do with the paper then machine.

Thanks again for the responses. I will check on all of them next time it happens.

FYI: I will be posting another question regarding some potential software issues with the Riso 5500 software. I don't know if I got a lemon or just a really smart machine that doesn't like me.

Thanks again.

Noah

NSC

RISO HC5500 Paper Jam Issue

I just found this post. We experience the same problem daily with our RISO. We have been told it is because the paper we use is too thick??? And most recently was told it is because we use recycled paper??? It doesn't matter whether we are printing duplex or single sided it still jams. It doesn't matter whether the adjustment "switch" is on thin or thick paper. The tech guy is out here about three times a week. I am beginning to think the RISO is just not a good printer. The problems Noah described are exactly the problems we have. Seems the roller which pulls the paper in to start "crinkles" the paper or pulls more than one sheet in at a time. Then it jams. Did you find anything out or fix your problem? I am not a tech, just a guy that has to use the machine and doesn't like it. Thanks for your help.

NSC
    And can anyone tell me where the duplex jam gate is located? Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by NSC View Post
    And can anyone tell me where the duplex jam gate is located? Thanks again!
    Open the left door, it's the green handle on the top upper left. When you close it, reach your hand in and smack it in the middle.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

I just found this post. We experience the same problem daily with our RISO. We have been told it is because the paper we use is too thick??? And most recently was told it is because we use recycled paper??? It doesn't matter whether we are printing duplex or single sided it still jams. It doesn't matter whether the adjustment "switch" is on thin or thick paper. The tech guy is out here about three times a week. I am beginning to think the RISO is just not a good printer. The problems Noah described are exactly the problems we have. Seems the roller which pulls the paper in to start "crinkles" the paper or pulls more than one sheet in at a time. Then it jams. Did you find anything out or fix your problem? I am not a tech, just a guy that has to use the machine and doesn't like it. Thanks for your help.
    Have your tech check to be sure there is little paper buckle at the reg roller. Also, have him re-run the belt line speed adjustment. (do this before he checks the paper buckle). I've seen the exit sensor get dirty when people run recycle paper as well as the sensor just before the reg roller. Clutches can be a problem, have them checked and cleaned.

If I can think of anything else I'll post.

NSC
    RRodgers

Thanks for the info. I don't know if it will make the tech guy mad but we will definitely "suggest" he check these things out. We appreciate the help.

RRodgers

Thanks for the info. I don't know if it will make the tech guy mad but we will definitely "suggest" he check these things out. We appreciate the help.
    Just tell him Rob Rodgers said so... he should listen to that!! HAHAHAHHA