Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    kjc

Question Oki ES3640 Communication error

My customer has an Oki Es3640 when you power on you get the message initialising please wait 5 minutes.
    after around 4 minutes the message communication error appears on the screen.
    I have looked for the obvious all connections are good the fuser is getting warm all cvers are closed.
    Any advise Please.

copierman 250+ Posts
    Oki ES3640 Communication error

hi

Communication error? is it a 3640 with a scanner? if so the usb lead is either unplugged or loose. Its a bit vague is that all it shows on the screen but, if it has the scanner board in, that may be the prob. hope this helps

jahpe

Hard Drive Failure

THere is a failure in the hard drive, or the EFI software is corrupted. You will have to replace the hard drive either way and that should fix the problem.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I agree with leo34staffs. The cable from the scanner to the engine can get damaged when moving, and won't stay plugged in. This cable looks exactly like a standard VGA monitor cable with 1 additional conductor. You can pay Oki $150 bucks for a cable, or you can use a standard 15 pin VGA monitor cable for $3.50! The (1) additional conductor doesn't make any difference.

If you had a Communication Code number I might be able to give a better answer.

=^..^=

jahpe
    ni it is a failure of the Controller boards talking to each other. It can be a failure, but as I have seen this problem before, it is almost certainly the hard drive.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Well accroding to the service manual, its going to need a board replacement.

HtH
    Paul@justmanuals.com

Senior Tech 100+ Posts DallasTech's Avatar
    I've never replaced any boards for those problems and we have a few 3640's in the field. Oki knows it's a design issue and turning the machine off, then restarting it after reconnecting all the cables should fix it. We have replaced some cables, but Oki always gave us replacements. That is the number one problem on these machines and the new 3641's use two DVI connectors not the USB and vga connectors of last generation.

Technician

Question cloned hdd with known good one

We cloned the HDD from a working known one and the copier gave me software not authorized 002, what am I doing wrong??
    Please help!!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts DallasTech's Avatar
    I've never tried to clone the hard drive, but Oki technical support is where I would turn to in this situation. If you changed boards, there is an eeprom chip (on main board) that you have to move. I have seen that cause a software not authorized error.

Technician

Oki es 3640 HDD replacement

We took the HDD from a working ES3640, and installed it on the non working one, the Oki worked perfect, then bougth new HDD, cloned it with known good one, installed on the Oki, but now copier says software not authorized..., put good HDD back in Oki, copier works fine again, is there a place where I can get the EFI software?
    or a place that I can get the HDD with the right operating system? how much????
    I didnt change any boards, all we did was exchage HDD to see if it would solve the problem, and it did but now we have 2 Okis with 1 HDD.

Thank you, for any help...

JRCS