Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: OCE SERIVES MANUEL

HOLY SHNYKES!!!

Man, I thought Xerox was bad but it seems Oce' takes the cake. It must hurt the resale value of the Oce' line because you can hardly find parts or supplies and apparently only a privy few can access the coveted service tools.

That sucks because as an independent I'd love to sell and service their line.

Do you think the Oce' line breaks down just as much as any other line? I would think no, they seem to be solid tanks...but I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    Kronical speaks the truth. The production machines have no service mode like we're used to; all simulations, counter changes and input/output tests are done with a laptop networked to machine. You need one license just to download and view the manuals and a separate license to dial into the machine to do the work. There are no PDFs, as the manual is laid out almost like a website - the index links to various other pages that, in turn, link to others, but there's no scrolling through a 2000 page document like with other manuals.

Techs are only given access to machines they're trained on. I could d/l the stuff for the 2090, C900 and 6250 families, but nothing else. If I was delisted from a machine for some odd reason, at my next update or visit to the Oce website to get bulletins, that model would be wiped from my computer.

tl;dr - Oce is Dutch for anal.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar

They're solid (other than Venlo cut sheet color boxes), but still have weak points here and there. Mostly due to engineers and designers not thinking "how will a tech get to this screw or that bolt?". Silly stuff that someone should've caught before firing up the production line.

They're machines that need a technician who likes to think and read and question. I had a coworker who hated to read the manuals and liked to guess at adjustments - as well as WD-40 every damn thing. For obvious reasons, he's no longer around.

I take it you service mostly the Oce' line in the DC area then?

Not anymore. I'm an onsite tech for a printshop and we recently switched over to Ricoh. Honestly, the Ricohs work out better overall, but it was a bragging point to be able to say I mastered those big, green boxes.

I'd like to get trained on the Varioprint line...they look really cool and robust.

Single pass duplex was actually pretty cool, no doubt about it.

Do you have mostly toner devices in your shop or do you get into other stuff like offset, nexpresses, indigos, etc.

Toner based; our largest runs are in the 10-20k range, we do a lot of "hey I need this now" stuff for instructors as well as mail merge stuff at a couple thousand a pop. And, as with anywhere, floorspace is pretty limited.

Sounds like a nice setup you have there. I tend to cater to those smaller jobs that people don't seem to want. They're still profitable so I take them.

I've done mailings for people before and attended some mail policy seminars...it's a lot of technical rules...

Kronic Copier Ninja 100+ Posts kronical's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manuals4you View Post
    With the right tools, I can remove any password protection from .pdf files. No big deal there.
    They are not password protected per say, they are licensed Lotus databases.