Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Oce 3165 DAC problem

Hello,

We've got a problem with an Oce 3165 DAC, in that it boots up, can be seen by the machine, can be pinged by PCs on the network, but won't print! I've tried the obvious things like turning it off and on again, but still no luck.

I believe that this has happened only after a recent electrical fault (power surge) at the premises. It's not a driver issue and the PC drivers can connect successfully to the DAC. The copier works fine and knows it has a mailbox, but no jobs appear there.

If I type in the IP address in a web browser it asks for the SAS password to log in. Does anyone know the default password? Or apart from that, any other ideas?

Thank you for your help in advance

Technician

Re: Oce 3165 DAC problem

Just as an update:

• I've deleted all jobs on the DAC (key operator mode), restarted it, no success
    • I've restored the DAC network settings, reassigned the IP address, still no luck
    • I've reinstalled the drivers on one of the computers, no success. However the drivers do display current paper levels, toner, staples etc. So there is communication between computers, the DAC and the machine.
    • All the computers were set up correctly before anyway, and everything worked fine, which makes me doubt it's a driver issue.
    • It makes no difference whether I try to print different file types, and whether I choose to print to the printer or the mailbox.
    • I've installed Oce Job SubmitIT on one of the PCs. Interestingly I can print jobs from that, though the interface is awful. It's not a long term solution. It seems to be only printer spooling that is the problem.

I'm now doubting that this is an electrical fault, but it's driving me mad trying to work out what it is. Any help would be appreciated.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Oce 3165 DAC problem

Been a long time since i worked on one of these
    from memory ive had this happen specialy after power cuts
    when you restart the dac thru the copier user tools
    do you get the shut down tune from the dac (3 beeps i think)
    then when it reboots do you get the ready tune
    it may take a few restarts for it to settle back down
    if you plug a monitor into the dac you can see it processing its start up

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

If Jobs cannot reach the machine and the DAC reaches 'Idle' after a reboot (plays a tune) then double check that the cable from the machine to the DAC is secure at both ends. Other than that, it more than likely that the DP board (Interface card inside the DAC has gone faulty. The large cable from the machine to the DAC plugs into this board. I have replaced lots of these boards in the past because of this very fault.

SAS password is 71617 or 71617000

Best of luck

Technician

Amazing, thank you.

I've unplugged, inspected and replugged the connections. The strange thing is that it does boot up and play the little tune, which I thought meant that everything was OK.

I've connected a monitor, mouse and keyboard to the DAC. It boots up into OS/2 warp, then goes to a black screen with a mouse cursor. Nothing is clickable and no keyboard shortcuts work; I don't know if that's just how it works or not.

Connecting to it through a web browser is great (it works!), but I'm not sure that any of the options are relevant here.

I've tried restarting it from the copier (key operator mode) a few times, and it plays a tune on shutting down, and a few minutes on starting up again.

It's a very strange very specific problem, that only affects sending jobs to the printer.

All I can think of is to persevere and investigate the hardware next.. Thank you for all your help so far.