Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    OKI  ES8460-MFP, grinding noise sometimes.

OKI ES8460-MFP, grinding noise sometimes.

OKI ES8460-MFP, occasionally loud grinding noise coming from the exit section. Hard to reproduce it happens sometimes and goes away again. I have never seen this machine before so don't want to start to poke around in it without having some background.

Is this a standard problem with that machine or just a singular case? Any hints please.

Anyone having the parts manual for me please, cause I need take up en separation parts for the ADF too.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: OKI ES8460-MFP, grinding noise sometimes.

Does it happen at run-up, and run-down (before and after copying)? Most Okidata fusers use reverse rotation of the fuser motor to cam pressure onto the fuser rollers before copying, then cam pressure off at conclusion. There isn't any sort of detection involved, it's just so many milliseconds of motor rotation each time.

On a couple different series of printers that timing was a little too long, so rather than getting 1 full rotation of the pressure cam, you'd get 1 1/4 rotations. The result was that every fourth time you fired up the printer, you wouldn't get fixing pressure. As far as I know there was never any sort of official fix from Okidata, but us techs figured out a workaround.

Inside the fuser you can manually rotate the cam to the pressure position, then remove the cast iron two-stage gear that rotates the pressure cam. There is no way for it to apply/remove fixing pressure, and since there is no detection the machine never notices. The risk, of course, is that you might get flat spots on the pressure roller in low volume installations. Most of us considered this a minor risk.

This did not affect every machine, but I knew right away when I looked at history, and saw 3 fusers replaced in 1 month. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Thanks Cat, its doing it during ejection of the paper. The sound is rather "light" not as heavy as from rollers or gears being turned under strain but more a kind of rattling sound as from rollers with a light mass not idling well. For me its seems to come from the exit roller section, less from the fusing section which is located much lower in this machine. Do you have a parts manual BTW?

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Thanks Cat, its doing it during ejection of the paper. The sound is rather "light" not as heavy as from rollers or gears being turned under strain but more a kind of rattling sound as from rollers with a light mass not idling well. For me its seems to come from the exit roller section, less from the fusing section which is located much lower in this machine. Do you have a parts manual BTW?

Hans
    Sorry. No sir. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=