Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    DP3030 - J82 with paper sometimes torn inside duplexing unit

Anyone ever got this?

Cheers!
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar
    Bad duplex clutch in the right door. Also could be wrong screw installed on front of fuser entrance plate. Spring missing from the two pinch rollers in the right door.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    I had one recently that was jamming J-82's, if you press the right door closed when it was making copies it would work fine, but releasing the door it would jam just about every time when duplexing. I replaced the registration actuator and jamming went away. Also, I know sometimes the TD sensor (on the door, solenoid driven, between the white and black plate) sometimes sticks, and that can cause jams as you described.

Hope this helps, Good luck.

Technician
    Try to check for misaligned or broken actuator, bad or dirty sensor, bad clutch and the two spring tensioner. Also check the driving unit of duplex for worn out gears, dirty bushings and foreign objects. Good luck...

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    Bad duplex clutch in the right door. Also could be wrong screw installed on front of fuser entrance plate. Spring missing from the two pinch rollers in the right door.
    I'm going to order the clutch. About the entrance plate, what screw could be wrong? A screw too long? Too short? The springs to both pincher rollers are there, I even reformed them to give them more strength, but didn't make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Logged-On View Post
    I had one recently that was jamming J-82's, if you press the right door closed when it was making copies it would work fine, but releasing the door it would jam just about every time when duplexing. I replaced the registration actuator and jamming went away. Also, I know sometimes the TD sensor (on the door, solenoid driven, between the white and black plate) sometimes sticks, and that can cause jams as you described
    Tried to press the door without any luck - if anything, the noise it made when jamming was more intense. I'll order the registration actuator. About the TD sensor, how can it cause the jams only in duplex mode?

Quote Originally Posted by jobert View Post
    Try to check for misaligned or broken actuator, bad or dirty sensor, bad clutch and the two spring tensioner. Also check the driving unit of duplex for worn out gears, dirty bushings and foreign objects. Good luck...
    I first checked the gears and they are fine. I've tried to put some WD40 on the bushings, without any results.

Attached is a picture of how the paper stops when jamming.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar
    Remove the fuser. The front screw of the four holding the bottom plate on. If the wrong screw is installed, it will prevent the baffle that holds the transfer roll and ADU pinch rolls from entering the paper path properly, even after a new clutch. That baffle should be flush with the front of the fuser. Clutch is on the right, but all the drive and gears are on the left side of the door. Wonderful design! I sometimes loosen the two screws on the ADU entrance baffle to give it a fighting chance. The black one at the very top of the door.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    I agree with mojorolla, it's actually my first check, but I don't think you even have to remove the fuser, just run your hand across the bottom plastic frame on the right side, if you feel the bump of the screw head popping out you know it's the wrong screw. the right screw doesn't have the free spinning washer, it's shaped like a cover screw, only shorter. If you are lucky, it's the same screw that is used originally to cover the fuser terminals, and the other side of connectors. Just remove one of those screws and swap it with the incorrect screw using a stubby to save some time. If you do remove the fuser and look at the bottom, you will see there are 4 holes, 3 round ones and one square one, the short screw goes in the square hole.

It's not a bad idea to remove the fuser, if the tech did not know to make sure that screw is correct, it is possible he didn't know to make sure the fuser harness isn't tightened under the plastic web frame as well.