Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Awesome Sauce 250+ Posts User Name's Avatar

60/45/35xx Toner Hoppers and light copies

Hello everyone,

So, I've seen multiple posts about these machines having problems with light copy issues due to the toner hopper assemblies and I have a number of machines with this problem. Everyone seems to agree that replacing the toner hopper is the best way to go but I can't imagine that it would be that difficult to fix what's wrong with the hopper. There's not that many parts inside of the unit and it seems that for a problem this wide spread there should be one thing that stands out as being the cause.

My thinking is that it could be one of three things: The toner hopper motor, the toner sensor, or the spring clutch that drives the toner feed roller. Any of those I think could be replaced in under 30 minutes.

For all of you that have tried to fix the hopper units, what have you tried and found not to be successful?

Thanks.
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
    O.o

WARNING: My profile page can cause blindness in small children and old copier techs. View at your own risk.

Re: 60/45/35xx Toner Hoppers and light copies

Bump...
    O.o

WARNING: My profile page can cause blindness in small children and old copier techs. View at your own risk.

Technician 500+ Posts

I would tend to agree with you. I called someone I know that has worked on these for sometime. He explained why they replaced the unit vs rebuilding them. He told me that when they rebuilt one they would have to spend alot of time doing it and most of the time they had to redo it because something was not right. I have completely disassembled them in the field and it does take along time and it is very messy. Very easy to loose some of the liitle stuff. And I mean little. Sometimes I had to redo it. To me, the ideal thing would be to rebuild it in the shop, test it in the shop, before taking it to the field. I wished I had one to do this. The cost on these units (new) are in the $200.00 to $300.00 range. For me, I think I will troubleshoot it and repair it in the field. If I get my hands on a used one then I may rebuid it in the shop to have when needed.

Bottom line. Its either dispensing toner or its not. The motor turns one way to take toner from the bottle to the hopper, based to the toner sensor in the hopper. Then to add toner to the developer, the motor reverses, and the bottle does not turn. He said that in some cases he has seen the bottle turn, while toner was going from hopper to developer, but if you put the slightest resistance on the bottle it would not turn. Hope this helps.

By the way, what does BUMP mean. I have seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by copiman View Post
    I would tend to agree with you. I called someone I know that has worked on these for sometime. He explained why they replaced the unit vs rebuilding them. He told me that when they rebuilt one they would have to spend alot of time doing it and most of the time they had to redo it because something was not right. I have completely disassembled them in the field and it does take along time and it is very messy. Very easy to loose some of the liitle stuff. And I mean little. Sometimes I had to redo it. To me, the ideal thing would be to rebuild it in the shop, test it in the shop, before taking it to the field. I wished I had one to do this. The cost on these units (new) are in the $200.00 to $300.00 range. For me, I think I will troubleshoot it and repair it in the field. If I get my hands on a used one then I may rebuid it in the shop to have when needed.
    I've taken one completely apart in our shop in under 20 minutes and although I haven't put it back together yet (waiting on parts) I don't see it being much of a problem. There are some small pieces to worry about but I'm not overly concerned. Not something I'd want to do in the field because it is indeed messy but in the shop I think I could easily rebuild one in 30 minutes.

Bottom line. Its either dispensing toner or its not. The motor turns one way to take toner from the bottle to the hopper, based to the toner sensor in the hopper. Then to add toner to the developer, the motor reverses, and the bottle does not turn. He said that in some cases he has seen the bottle turn, while toner was going from hopper to developer, but if you put the slightest resistance on the bottle it would not turn. Hope this helps.
    Now that I've fully dissassembled one of these hoppers, I know how they work. Still trying to figure out why they won't work though. The bottle shouldn't move at all when the motor is adding toner to the developing unit. That would probably be the spring clutch that drives the toner bottle being bound up I think, maybe?

By the way, what does BUMP mean. I have seen that before.
    It means that I "Bumped" my thread back to the top of the forum. You'll see it from time to time on old posts that people want to bring back into discussion. I haven't seen it around here much though. More of a 4chan thing I suppose.
    O.o