Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Communications Utility doesn't run properly - Win7 64bit

I am trying to install the Panasonic Communications Utility on a client's Windows 7 64bit computer to work with a DP 8035. It installs fine, but when you run the Network Scanner Configuration program, it comes up with a window that has some of the buttons/radio buttons, but not all, and has no lettering whatsoever.

I can figure out what is what by comparing it to a correctly-running version on my laptop. However, it will not retain any of the settings and it is missing the entire lower half of the GUI window(the "Address Information" area, where you choose the copier and give it the display name).

I have re-installed it every way that I know how, including "Run As Administrator", with firewalls and AV off, and have used compatibility modes. Nothing seems to make a difference. It always installs without any error notices. It just runs improperly, which is why I believe it may be related to the .NET requirement.

I had the client check that the default installation of .NET framework 3.5 is enabled on her PC (it is). I have had her download and install .NET Framework 4.5, in case the default install is corrupted somehow.

I will be remoting in to her computer to re-install the Communications Utility and see if it works now. Has anyone else ran across this issue? Any other suggestions?

If the .NET fix doesn't work, I am out of ideas.

Thanks for any help!

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Re: Communications Utility doesn't run properly - Win7 64bit

Be sure to use file 7pcu110401.exe. I have this loaded onto my 64 bit PC without issue. You may have Windows Live Essentials or Anti-virus conflicting with the communication utility. Uninstall or disable anti-virus and reinstall the communication utility.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

So far no luck. I am pretty much ruling out a .NET Framework issue after trying many different things with that (including multiple re-installs). Also, I am using the correct version of the utility and I have downloaded it multiple times to rule out a corrupted download.

This problem PC does have Windows Live installed. If that is causing an issue, is there a fix for it? Would I need to uninstall Windows Live, then install the Communication Utility, and then lastly re-install Windows Live?

Below is a screenshot that shows how a normally running Network Scanner Configuration compares to the broken versionon this client's PC (it's a little greyed out as that's how the remote connection handles things when it loses focus.). You can see how half the window is missing and all lettering is missing. THe buttons and browse features work, but it will not retain any changes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

when u uninstall the communication utility. did you DELETE the root folder? you have to do that in order to do a fresh install. another thing is that it looks like you have installed a wrong software (correct me if i am wrong), you should download the Communication utility, here is a link to the Win7 file from Panasonic.net:

http://cs.psn-web.net/support/mfp/co...7pcu110401.exe

and you don't need to uninstall the window live, you just have to bypass the exe files.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I did not delete the root installation folder after un-installing it. I will try that either this weekend or early next week.

I have been using the same file as you linked to. The screenshot shows the Network Scanner Configuration utility because you need to run that to set things up before you can run the Communications Utility itself. That's the way my successful installs on other PCs work.

1. Run the installer
    2. Launch the Network Scanner Configuration Utility
    3. Launch or ensure that the Communications Scanner Utility is running
    4. Scan from copier

Anyways, on this problem PC, the communications utility program will not launch at all (no GUI and no process in Task Manager - however, the Configuration tool does show a process in Task Manager ).

So my next step is to try the re-install after completely un-installing the utility. Should I run the Panasonic-DMS CLeanup Tool, eventhough the DP-8035 is not listed and Windows 7 is not listed either?

Lastly, could you explain how to "bypass" the executables for Live?

Thanks for your help!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

What I would do is to uninstall all the Panasonic software on the PC, including printer driver's and device explorer etc, then delete the Panasonic folders under C and under program files. I wont use the cleanup tools. then install the latest version from the website( i believe yours is the latest already). When you finished installing, restart the computer, then open up the Microsoft sec essential, and go to "Settings" tab, and under there, go to "excluded files and locations", then browse to the Panasonic folder under c:/program files/Panasonic, then press "add". this will exclude/bypass the files within that folder. You might need to bypass the files in Windows firewall as well, but this will be done by the setup if it installed the program properly.

Try reinstall the program first, see if the program run properly, then try the bypass after. One step at a time.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

There is a Panasonic clean up tool that will remove all Panasonic software to ensure a truly clean install.
    http://panasonic.net/pcc/support/mfp.../download.html

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I tried PanaTech's way and still no success. I also tried using the cleanup tool(had to run it in Compatibility Mode) and re-install, but it still does the same thing.

The client's PC has no AV running at all, which may mean that it could be infected with something that may be causing the problem. It also has Windows Live Essentials, which I know can cause problems with SharpDesk, which is a similar tool for Sharp copiers.

I am ready to give up on this scanner utility on the client's PC. I will attempt to set up scan to email and use that for her scans. I don't believe the DP-8035 has SSL capability, which means I'll have to set up an SMTP relay on her PC.

Any specific tips/tricks to setting up scan to email on these Panasonics? (I am used to Sharp and Samsung MFPs, and I do not have access to Panasonic manuals - except for the mostly useless User's manual) Does it have an embedded webpage?

Thanks for the help!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Sorry to hear that didnt solve the problem. For the scan to email. I will use SMTP IP address instead of smtp name, I found that is more stable in most cases. i dont think SSL makes any differences as long as you have the smtp ip correct?
    if you need to use the SMTP authenication, you need to enable it. it is in the fax parameter. I forgot the exact number, but I believe it is #170. what I will do is:

Disable able DNS server in General settings -> admin mode
    enable SMTP authenication -> fax/email settings -> Fax parameters
    enter SMTP IP address -> fax/email settings -> user parameters
    enter SMTP authenication username and password -> fax/email settings -> user parameters
    restart m/c

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks for all the help!

I set up scan to email for this user. I put hMailserver on her desktop PC, secured it, and then set up authenticated emailing from the copier. I then installed Mozilla Thunderbird and set up the bogus, local account to receive the emails from the copier. I could have set it up as a relay to gmail, but the customer preferred this setup.