Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Panasonic DP-1820E having copy and print quality issues

photo.JPG

Strange - after changing developer I am getting the following - see photo - Left page is the original, printed on another printer. Right is copy from adf. Copy quality is actually different from ADF and Flatbed! Flatbed is even lighter. The same thing is happening when printing from the users pc. Notice the density change in the top text...All consumables have been replaced except drum and blade. Will be doing those today.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Technician 500+ Posts

Re: Panasonic DP-1820E having copy and print quality issues

SB-03-Light_Copy-(M-0159i)__DP-1520P_1820x.pdfNeed to ask some questions:

How many copies are on the Drum?
    When you changed developer, did you run F8-09?
    Are the pictures you posted ran immediately after replacing developer? If not, how many copies are now on the developer?

Make sure your optics are clean. I would rum F1-02. This is an internal print and will tell/show you how your solids look. If it looks good, then the issue is only with scanning/optics.

Another thing to check is the coupler that drives the auger to supply toner to the developer. Its on the back side of the process unit. Can't miss it. It sometimes can get stuck and then there is no drive to the auger, resulting in light prints and copies. See attached document.

By the way, if you replace the drum and blade, make sure you replace the charge wire as well.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Panasonic DP-1820E having copy and print quality issues

Lightbulb Re: Panasonic DP-1820E having copy and print quality issues

This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from:

http://www.justmanuals.com

Paul@justmanuals.com

Technician

Copiman,

Drum was just replaced yesterday. I did run the F8-09 after developer was replaced, and only has about 200 pages on it. I did clean the optics and ran the F1-02 as you suggested.

The internal print is exhibiting the same symptoms, and I verified it is being written to the drum that way. The coupler for the auger is working fine as well.

All parts replaced so far - drum, developer, drum blade, corona wire, fuser rollers and pick fingers.

I seriously think this is a scanning/laser problem...strange as the machine has less than 50k on it.

Thanks for all your suggestions copiman!

Technician 500+ Posts

Did you run F8-14 for the drum replacement? This resets the counter, which I think controls compensation for wear on the drum. Also, you may want to check the bias voltage on the front of the dev unit. Should be about (-430v DC). I say this because techs sometimes tweak it. Double check your corona wire and make sure its seated properly.

If the internal print is light, it appears to be under-toned or charge/bias issue. With a fresh install of dev you should be getting a solid print, always troubleshoot by looking at print first then copy. If print is bad then you can rule out scan/optics. I have never seen laser units cause light copies. Just lines and coding out. but there is always a first. if you have one you can try it.

Another question, exactly why did you change developer? Also check F6-54, 55, 56. Set to zero (0). See if this helps.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Was this the original issue/problem? I've worked on these machines for many years and have faithfully replaced the drum, blade, developer, main charge wire, reset drum counter and run dev. calibration and the quality has always been good. You have to do all these at the same time! generic toners for this model cause these issues, but should arise after a while when the toner is augmented to the developer. Do all these together again.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Regarding the toner add coupler. This can intermittently stick and prevent toner adding to dev unit. I removed about an 1/8 of an inch of the plastic housing around this area on all my machines to eliminate this problem. Has this been done to your machine?