Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

DP-2310/3010/2330/3030/8025/8032 Duplex Gate Modification

I just wanted to throw this out to anybody that has to still work on these poorly designed machines. This was our modification to the duplex gate for when the gate plastic grooved out the paper transport plastic causing paper jams because the paper slammed into the gate (sorry I don't remember the jam code). Local hardware store to get washers, a piece of brass tubing and some epoxy. We started doing this to all machines when they were brand new because the epoxy needed time to set up overnight. Plus the gate had to move correctly when you got done. We also added the rubber sep pad from a Riso to help control the "bounce" of the gate. Never had a problem once this mod was done to the machines. Now only a couple still remain in the field.

Had fun tearing this one down for the scrap yard though!!!

3030 Duplex Gate 1.jpg3030 Duplex Gate 2.jpg

Awesome Sauce 250+ Posts User Name's Avatar

Re: DP-2310/3010/2330/3030/8025/8032 Duplex Gate Modification

I tried to fix this problem in the field once and I failed. I like this modification. I'd thought of using a washer before but the additional tubing is the part that is really effective and the rubber stopper is a nice touch too. This info would have been really helpful like 5 years ago. We have so few of these out there anymore that I'm not sure I'll ever to make this modification but thanks for posting it anyway! I'm sure someone will benefit from this info!
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
    O.o

WARNING: My profile page can cause blindness in small children and old copier techs. View at your own risk.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thats a good fix. I go the easy way and just use a tie wrap on ours giving J-80 series codes. about 20 copiers so far.
    Th.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Technician 500+ Posts

Thanks for the tip. The jam code I got for this was J51. I just swapped it out from a shop machine. Now I can fix it and use it in the future.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Right on for J51!
    Th.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

I was once told by a Panasonic tech that this machine was designed by the fax engineers at Panasonic. I personally find Panasonic fax machines to be quite good; this copier is a whole different story. Considering Panasonic no longer makes MFP's, I guess they should have stuck to designing fax machines.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts doug94550's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 20gaugeO/U View Post
    I just wanted to throw this out to anybody that has to still work on these poorly designed machines. This was our modification to the duplex gate for when the gate plastic grooved out the paper transport plastic causing paper jams because the paper slammed into the gate (sorry I don't remember the jam code). Local hardware store to get washers, a piece of brass tubing and some epoxy. We started doing this to all machines when they were brand new because the epoxy needed time to set up overnight. Plus the gate had to move correctly when you got done. We also added the rubber sep pad from a Riso to help control the "bounce" of the gate. Never had a problem once this mod was done to the machines. Now only a couple still remain in the field.

Had fun tearing this one down for the scrap yard though!!!

3030 Duplex Gate 1.jpg3030 Duplex Gate 2.jpg
    Hi guys, sorry for the late reply but I don't get around here all that often these days (disabled from work). Anyway, I do remember this problem very well. To make a long story short, what I did was to take my Dremel and grind down the ribs where the paper jams when the paper enters the duplexer. All you need to remove is a few millimeters to ensure that even with the bounce, there is nothing for the paper to catch on. Once it gets past the lead edge of the duplexer, it is smooth sailing. Oh yeah, also, on a couple of occasions I found that the white actuator that ties off to the solenoid had cracked and weakened.
    In conclusion, damn I really miss the field.