Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 4520 - J61

Awesome Sauce 250+ Posts User Name's Avatar

4520 - J61

I have a Panasonic 4520 that keeps giving the J61 code (Stapler not activated correctly). Tried switching out the staple unit and, when that didn't work, took another finisher that I know doesn't have any issues and I still get the code. So, the issue must lie with the machine itself. Any ideas on what the issue may be? I'm thinking it's a logic problem with one of the PCBs. I'm not terribly good at diagnosing PCB issues so if anybody has some advice, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
    O.o

WARNING: My profile page can cause blindness in small children and old copier techs. View at your own risk.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: 4520 - J61

Is firmware up to date?

Quote Originally Posted by laitang View Post
    Is firmware up to date?
    Probably not. We've never been Panasonic dealers and I don't have easy access to the Firmware.
    O.o

WARNING: My profile page can cause blindness in small children and old copier techs. View at your own risk.

Confession time: this wasn't my call but rather my coworkers'. The problem was that my boss decided we could use a different type of staples for a different machine in this one if we just put them in the old cardboard cartridge (they looked the same after all). Apparently, this is not the case. I thought I'd post here since I figured the staple cartridge would have been one of the things replaced at one point (nope, same one put in each time) and I didn't have any other ideas.

Sometimes the answer is so obvious that you look right past it I suppose. :/
    O.o

Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    Confession time: this wasn't my call but rather my coworkers'. The problem was that my boss decided we could use a different type of staples for a different machine in this one if we just put them in the old cardboard cartridge (they looked the same after all). Apparently, this is not the case. I thought I'd post here since I figured the staple cartridge would have been one of the things replaced at one point (nope, same one put in each time) and I didn't have any other ideas.

Sometimes the answer is so obvious that you look right past it I suppose. :/
    It's definitely the staple cartridge. I've seen the same thing happen with different brands of after market cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by tnrtt View Post
    It's definitely the staple cartridge. I've seen the same thing happen with different brands of after market cartridges.
    Yes it was. Hooray for non-OEM staples! :l
    O.o