Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Low life competition techs.

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    When "techs" resort to bad mouthing the competition, it shows they have little to offer in the way of skills or services. Customers don't like to hear that. If the customer does not like a certain tech, they will let the next one know it. Most recent example I heard was a customer telling me a tech from a competitor showing up smelling like alcohol. Best compliment I got was from a field supervisor for the company that took over most of my territory. Shook my hand at a trade show and said he had heard good things about me from the customers.
    That's exactly right, unless there's an actual reason.
    Years ago a person left the mothership on purpose and got hired by a competing mothership under other than honorable circumstances. When I saw their machines near the machines I was working on that were only there because of the dishonored person's relationship with the account, I spoke of them with general disappointment. That could be seen by extremely fragile people as bad mouthing I suppose, but I had no problem with it then.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Re: Low life competition techs.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    That's exactly right, unless there's an actual reason.
    Years ago a person left the mothership on purpose and got hired by a competing mothership under other than honorable circumstances. When I saw their machines near the machines I was working on that were only there because of the dishonored person's relationship with the account, I spoke of them with general disappointment. That could be seen by extremely fragile people as bad mouthing I suppose, but I had no problem with it then.

Nothing wrong with warning a customer in a professional way. I just came from a new customer on base. I had told him I work on plotters and he mentioned who worked on his. I told him to get a second opinion if he tried to kill the plotter. At another site on base several months ago the same contractor had told a customer that he would have to replace his 2 HP plotters as parts were not available. That was an out right lie. The plotters were dj 5500 series. One of them had a leaking ink tube. I told the customer I had that ink system, new in a box, at the shop. That is just shady business.

Anytime I see another tech, I make an attempt to talk to them. Some are nice, some are assholes. In other words, we techs are just regular people.

We do have customers that have requested that certain techs not return to their copier. That would be a strike against you as a tech. Can't use people who are banned from customers.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking