Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

The Lion King of the Jungle?

Well, this thread is for those who like me are 'wild life enthusiasts or animal lovers'.
    Most of us grew up knowing that "the lion is the king of the jungle". This misconception persists to this day. For starters, these members of the large cats family does NOT actually live in the jungle, they live in the savannah of Africa.....African lion. So they can't be 'king of the jungle, it has since lost that title to the Bengal TIGERS which are the real permanent residents or occupants of thehu Asian jungle.
    Have also learnt that in a fight between the two species of this cat family, the undisputed winner is the Bengal tiger or the Siberian tiger. The African lion is no match for them.
    I know in North America , Canada, you have Pandas and Jaguars as their 'equivalent' species. What would you say about the outcome of any match between the two species? Which animal is 'king of the jungle' there? Surely it can't be the polar bear?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: The Lion King of the Jungle?

It's hard to image the outcome of an encounter with a panda, a jaguar, and a polar bear, since they are rarely in the same proximity, but I would have to admit that the Polar Bear has the edge based on size and weight alone. An adult male polar bear can stand up to 10' tall (3m), weight up to 1500# (770kg). The polar bear has paws 12" across (1/3m), and individual claws 2" long (5cm). Most animals that have encountered a polar bear do not get a 2nd opportunity.

This reminds me of those speculations we made as kids: "Who do you think would win? Superman or Batman or The Hulk? =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 07-05-2015 at 03:10 PM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Here in africa were i come from it seems like the baboon is the king of the bushveld.
    a Lion will shit itself if it sees a Tiger.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    I doubt if it would recognise one, lions are native to Africa, tigers are native to Asia
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Lions and Tigers and Bears OH MY!!!!!!!!!! And I would add the North American Kodiak Brown Bear as another top of the predators list............
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

In this particular part of the U.S., the environment apparently is not conducive to the bigger cats. Rumor has it that there might be bobcats around here somewhere, but as I haven't ever seen one (even as roadkill) after close to 2M miles on the road that might not even be the case.
    As a matter of fact, the biggest cat that has made the news around here that I'm aware of is the mountain lion or cougar, which live mostly in the mountains several hundred miles west of here. Not something to be trifled with, to be sure. But in a fight between a tiger or lion you are familiar with and a mountain lion, the mountain lion would most likely loose.
    Hopefully someone from Canada will comment here, as there are wolverines there, and it kind of sounds like wolverines can be one of the bigger rat bastards of the animal kingdom. I kind of think they are more like a weasel than a cat or a wolf, though.
    Last edited by Iowatech; 07-06-2015 at 03:59 AM.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

I believe from Doco's that the Hippopotamus has the greatest kill/respect ratio.

We have the usual dangerous,dingo's ,wild pigs, wild buffalo ,croc's, every crawling/flying insect and snakes here in OZ... Generally we don't see them attack one another. They all must drink water at some point. Croc's live in water. The croc's eat all of them for breakfast so, they get the King of The Pond title around here.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    I believe from Doco's that the Hippopotamus has the greatest kill/respect ratio.

We have the usual dangerous,dingo's ,wild pigs, wild buffalo ,croc's, every crawling/flying insect and snakes here in OZ... Generally we don't see them attack one another. They all must drink water at some point. Croc's live in water. The croc's eat all of them for breakfast so, they get the King of The Pond title around here.
    With all due respect, allow me to disagree with you on this one; that the CROCS get 'The king of the pond' title. A crocodile would would rather starve to death than dare to attack a hippo, knowing very well that the consequences are dire! The two creatures actually live quite 'amicably' in the same pond of water, keeping a reasonable distance from one another. It's sort of 'marriage of convenience'.
    It is hard to believe, but a group of crocs, once on land can provide protection to a young hippo,i.e a hippo leaving its young one to the protection of the crocs while it goes looking for grass to eat, knowing very well that no predator can dare come near the crocs, at the same time the croc won't harm its young one! I saw this on the 'National Geographic film documentary...NET GEO channel.

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Here in africa were i come from it seems like the baboon is the king of the bushveld.
    Baboon King of the bushveld? I have seen a 'mere' leopard tearing to pieces quite a number of them