grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

Car repair or not!

Picked up a new car in February this year. It's had a few issues so I booked it in to the local Volkswagen dealer. Showed the dealer a video of 1 of the problems as its intermittent, service said don't need a test drive we can see it. Dealer asked to keep it overnight to test - yep ok. 2nd day asked by dealer can they keep it a 3rd day as a test today showed the fault & they have ordered the part?

i asked them to confirm that that they have tested it today - yes they replied. I stated it has a tracking device and it's telling me it hasn't moved all day!

they then backtracked saying we oh err we tested it overnight.....

Im going to collect the car tomorrow morning as I've said leave it I'll take it to another dealer.

ill be checking my dash cam as well but hey I'm sure the truth will eventually come out somewhere!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Car repair or not!

Re: Car repair or not!

Get your money back and buy a Toyota pick-up.

80K and all I have had to put in is 3 sets of tires, 2 batteries and a set of brakes.

Almost due for PM, but waiting till I really have to.

I had a 1984 Toyota Truck that killed a 73 Chevy in an accident.
    His fault. I had to shut off my engine.
    The best thing is I had hit a deer a month before that according to insurance was totaled.

Nobody hurt other than adrenaline rush.

His battery flew 15 feet away and all I had was the radiator fan blades were broken.
    I could have driven away, but it would have overheated in no time.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Car repair or not!

Daughters had VW's, electronic problems galore, no more VW's. One of my vehicles is a focus wagon, have had many good size copiers in back, 292K and counting. One of the best vehicles I have owned. Economical and dependable.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Or, at least in the US get a Ford minivan.
    True, I had to get the head gaskets replaced once on the Windstar, and the transmission replaced once on the Freestar. But I traded the Windstar in with 300K miles, and the Freestar has over 120K miles on it now.
    Plus, thanks to the blind people they let drive in the Peoria area, my bright red Windstar got t-boned once and rear ended three times. While there was some sheet metal damage, neither me or the stuff inside the Windstar was damaged, and I was able to drive away each time. (Well, I did have a bit of whiplash from being rear ended that many times. But for me personally the stretching exercise of getting the last swallow from a can of beer is useful for getting over that.)

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

I agree about how tough Toyota trucks are. I have an 08 Tacoma through the shop. I am not the person who babies anything, it has to be tough. I do know from experience that one of those Porsche suv types is no match. I bounced my truck off the back of one, must have done $5000 in damage to it, left a small dent in my bumper and theyb fled the scene. Very lucky day for me.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

Spoken to the lease company(VW) who passed me straight to head office who are now investigating it & are arranging another dealer to check the car over - needless to say what I told them they weren't impressed.

Doesnt look good with the fact they've left a connector off it but I'm not touching it as it adds to the incompetence of them.