Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Copier / Printer technician training

Hi everyone,

I work and live in UAE and doing a small business of printer leasing. Now I got a chance to move permanently to USA with my family. I want to ask what are the available options of same kind of business in USA (printer on lease and rent). I am currently dealing in Canon business multifunctional machines especially in remanufactured models of IRC 4580/5185.

I'll appreciate if you people can give me suggestions or share your experiences. I would also like to do some advance online training / course related to printer services which can help me to find out the similar job / business in USA.

Regards,

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: Copier / Printer technician training

What area are you moving to?

I don't think online training is gonna do you any good. Most techs get good by just doing it.

You don't really need much, other than experience, to start a repair business. Or even buying and selling refurb machines... I guess you have to get set up with a leasing company, but most places will only lease new machines. They would buy a used machine outright. And as long as you can backup your machines with service, you wouldn't have too much trouble starting a business.

But in all of that, loyal customers take time to build up. You gotta keep at it for a few years.

Myself, I had to work part times for a couple of years before I had enough to run my repair business full time. I worked in an Amazon warehouse for a year or two. Hard work. I'm glad I kept pusing my own company. I'd hate to go back there.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

I think if you are trying to start a small business selling remans, you are going to have a hard time...all of our old MFPs are shipped out of the country or scrapped as there is no market for them here...Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

In addition to the reply's i would suggest you apply for a job with a company in usa first. settle yourself and take a bit of time to see how the operations work there. Send out your resume and it seems you have plenty of experience from your other post. You can then plan your future moves. It takes money to live in a new environment that i am thinking you are not familar with. Once you are there, you will meet people in the business and you will soon know all that you need to.
    If you have good networking skills and can navigate service and parts manuals, then that's 90% of the know hows. the rest is social and finance i would think.
    Advance course is ' your own confidence in repairs and know hows' and it comes with day to day on the job and never ends.
    IF you then own your own business decide to go with cannon, then they will provide the training and give you access to their propriety essentials.
    Note-- you can run a copier business without becoming a dealer for the brands you service, but if you want to sell new then you have to get dealership status.
    correct me if i am in error people, as i am a 9-5
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Copier / Printer technician training

Quote Originally Posted by vickyhanif View Post
    Hi everyone,

I work and live in UAE and doing a small business of printer leasing. Now I got a chance to move permanently to USA with my family. I want to ask what are the available options of same kind of business in USA (printer on lease and rent). I am currently dealing in Canon business multifunctional machines especially in remanufactured models of IRC 4580/5185.

I'll appreciate if you people can give me suggestions or share your experiences. I would also like to do some advance online training / course related to printer services which can help me to find out the similar job / business in USA.

Regards,
    If your experience can get you a job, then the company will train you as needed. If you work for the manufacturer itself, like Canon they will send you to every class.

In case you don't understand. In USA we have dealers (just regular guys who buy and service Canons) and also the manufacturers like Canon, Sharp, Ricoh have their own sales and service teams with no middle-man.