Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

travelling to work is work!

Taken from the telegraph media site

Time spent by tradesmen driving to first job of the day counts as work, European Court of Justice rules, as British government warns costs to business will increase

Time spent by plumbers, decorators and carers driving to their first customer of the day counts towards the 48-hour working week, a European court has ruled, in a decision the government admits will drive up costs for businesses.
    In a defeat for the British government, the European Court of Justice ruled that time spent by tradesmen travelling between their home and their clients is “work”.

Under the EU Working Time Directive, British employees cannot work more than 48 hours in a week unless they choose to opt out.
    Under UK government guidelines, time spent travelling at work does count towards the target. But “normal travel to and from work” and “travelling outside normal working hours” does not.
    The court ruling contradicts that. Judges in Luxembourg adjudicated in a case brought by workers at Tyco, a Spanish company that installs burglar alarms.
    While workers drove for up to three hours to clients’ premises, the company counted their working day for the purposes of the directive from the moment they arrived at the first client to the moment they left the last one.
    The court ruled that was wrong, and said travelling time counts as “work” for employees such as tradesmen who do not have a fixed office.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: travelling to work is work!

OK, so its now official, while your sitting in that traffic jam on your way to your first job you're at work. So don't just sit there do something useful! Do a stock take of your spare parts, catch up on your paperwork make or work related phone calls because now the boss will want to know that your not wasting company time!
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    OK, so its now official, while your sitting in that traffic jam on your way to your first job you're at work. So don't just sit there do something useful! Do a stock take of your spare parts, catch up on your paperwork make or work related phone calls because now the boss will want to know that your not wasting company time!
    I use that time in traffic to beat myself up over that damn finisher that I can't seem to fix. That, and to provide information readily available in manuals. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Don'tcha think all that may be considered distracted driving?

Nobody can force you to take that type of risk.

I fear that topic alone could open up a whole new can of worms.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Don'tcha think all that may be considered distracted driving?
    I think you missed "while sitting in a traffic jam" in my first post. You must be one of those lucky guys Ken that works in the country and is not really sure what a traffic light looks like
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

The judge was right but over did it a little

It's very simple. There are two determinates: Time and Distance.

If it takes you 10 miles to get to the OFFICE and your first call is 15 miles from your house. You get paid for 5 miles.

Likewise, if it takes you 10 minutes to get to your office and your first call is 15 minutes from your house you clock in plus 5 minutes.

My company is generous in that if your first call is less than 10 miles you can start your daily mileage at that point.

Most companies would just have you subtract 20 miles (total commute) from you daily "garage-to-garage" total.

I think you missed "while sitting in a traffic jam" in my first post. You must be one of those lucky guys Ken that works in the country and is not really sure what a traffic light looks like
    All I am saying is to stay safe, and don't take risks. It's just not worth it.

It's even covered in our employee handbook. If you cause an accident because you are otherwise "occupied", you can be terminated for it. That can happen in the city or a lonely country road.

And I spend more time in downtown Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh than I care to admit. No, none are as bad as New York City, Boston, or Chicago, but they're bad enough.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

The entire topic of how we are compensated for travel, in both time and money, is a favorite sore subject.

I think we can all agree on that.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Driving and multitasking can become expensive. see the attachment and check the date. have to agree with kenb
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

Thankfully I work for a company that won't be expecting the 'do more while you're stuck in traffic' attitude. We have trackers on the car so it's not a problem justifying your time spent on the road & they never check them anyway!

What it does mean is, I like a lot of engineers pick parts up before our 1st call and then get to our 1st call at say 8.30 but it's not accepted as work time because we're not on the customers premises! Well now it is classed as work time and so you have to factor those times in. No more 1 hour drives to a call 1st or last call journeys without consideration to the time scale.

however if you're wise you will be flexible in your work attitude by give & take e.g don't expect to finish early if you refuse to leave that little bit early to get to a call at 8.30. I'm contracted till 5pm but very rarely finish at 5 but always start at 30-60 mins before I'm due to start work in the morning - it's called being flexible.