Thread: New guy here

jcc80

New guy here

Hey guys,

I wanted to introduce myself real quick. I'm John, and I'm the service manager for a Sharp dealer in central California. Some quick background here... I spent several years trying to survive working on 100% commission as a financial advisor. After getting my butt handed to me, I tried my hand in copier sales. I finally came to the conclusion that I have no business being in sales.

Anyways, it's a long story how I ended up being thrust into the position of service manager with zero experience. On top of that, the lead technician quit shortly after I got started, and I haven't found anyone to fill those shoes yet.

So here I am, a year later. I realize that I don't stand a chance unless I continue to learn the technical side of our business. I'm up for the challenge, and looking forward to learning from this community. Hopefully at some point I'll be able to contribute back.

Re: New guy here

Yes you need to know the technical side well to make good decisions. I am not the manager of the company i work for but we work independently for the same company as "technicians". It works well but everybody needs to be on the same level to do this. We are allowed to do sales and can make good commission.

You have to now the costs involved in the smallest of things. Information like yields and actual yields is important. Performance of consumables. The capabilities of the machines and technical product knowledge is important.

Dig into it solve problems, that's makes you worth your salt. The lead technician it not there so you need to do his job and by doing that you can apply the knowledge to the management side. Find ways to encourage the techs to take care of themselves if it comes to day to day duties.

Don't expect the guys here to spoon feed. You need to make an effort to use the support channels given by the OEM.

Welcome.

Introduce yourself here.
    http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/newbie-check-in-/
    Whatever

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    New guy here

If you stick to it, you will earn my highest respect. No matter how many times you get thrown under the bus, you just have to keep getting up and stepping in front of the next one. After a while, you can manage to dodge a few of the slower buses.

You clearly have the right perspective for long term longevity. Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions. If you can tolerate a little ribbing, you will get useful information quite often.

Welcome! =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    New guy here

Welcome to the site, John, you have come to the right place to gain incite from a knowledgeable group of helpful technicians. Also, welcome to the technical side of Sharp MFP's. Best of luck to you, sir.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

G'day ...
    Welcome to the forum....

Life is a classroom, we all never stop learning, especially in the service industry...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    New guy here

Welcome back from the Dark Side Luke..................., and please trade the BMW in for something practical.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Welcome to CTN, show that you've tried to find a solution, give as much info as possible, and, when you have gained a little more experience, offer advice to others, then you'll escape the wrath of the grumpy old gits on here...they're a good bunch really
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    New guy here

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    then you'll escape the wrath of the grumpy old gits on here...
    watch who your calling a Grumpy Old Git Debs.........that's Mrs Lagonda's job!
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

As I am strictly KM, unless you demand free firmware or manuals, I'll probably be pretty easy on you...Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

jcc80

Thanks everyone. Luckily our Sharp service rep is a very cool guy and patient with my stupid questions.

And I know enough from other (unrelated) forums to keep my mouth shut and search first, hehe.