Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Explain that

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Explain that

I have a high speed paper folder that I service for the base print shop. A few months ago I replace everything to do with the feed separation. They spent hundreds. They called with an error. It means the separation needs adjusting. I try and try, but it either pulls extra sheets or not at all. Finally I get a ream of raw paper and it tri-folds the ream in about 2 minutes with no issue. I look at the stock they are trying to fold and it has a nice sheen to it. They switched paper a few months ago.

"It's your paper" I exclaim.

The customer points to a cardboard box and ask how it was able to fold the 7,500 pamphlets in the box.

DOH!!!

One of those questions that gave me a head ache last night.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Explain that

Re: Explain that

On their production machines, Ricoh recommends using the older dark gray type feed rollers when using glossy or slick surface paper. The newer composition roller will quickly lose their grip on slick paper. You may be having a similar problem.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post

The customer points to a cardboard box and ask how it was able to fold the 7,500 pamphlets in the box.

DOH!!!

It's magic.
    I know I should be ashamed of myself. Strangely though, I am not.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I have a high speed paper folder that I service for the base print shop. A few months ago I replace everything to do with the feed separation. They spent hundreds. They called with an error. It means the separation needs adjusting. I try and try, but it either pulls extra sheets or not at all. Finally I get a ream of raw paper and it tri-folds the ream in about 2 minutes with no issue. I look at the stock they are trying to fold and it has a nice sheen to it. They switched paper a few months ago.

DOH!!!

Ah, the stand alone finisher spirits are a fickle bunch, I know them well. I have learned that most of the time they will leave you alone. Every once in a while they will cause great bouts of rending of clothes and gnashing of teeth, though.
    I don't know if this will help as it sounds like you've already dealt with it, but if that machine uses a feed roller/sep pad, I'd check drive for the feed roller. On the machines I work on with that feed system there is a belt that will slip after a while, causing the feed roller to stall if there is standard pressure between the roller and the sep pad, and the roller will only turn when there is too little pressure to separate the sheets.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

I think we've all had that experience at one time or another, copiers too.

"We know the stock is out of spec, but it ran perfectly when the machine was new."

Grrrrrrrrrrr
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Ah, the stand alone finisher spirits are a fickle bunch, I know them well. I have learned that most of the time they will leave you alone. Every once in a while they will cause great bouts of rending of clothes and gnashing of teeth, though.
    I don't know if this will help as it sounds like you've already dealt with it, but if that machine uses a feed roller/sep pad, I'd check drive for the feed roller. On the machines I work on with that feed system there is a belt that will slip after a while, causing the feed roller to stall if there is standard pressure between the roller and the sep pad, and the roller will only turn when there is too little pressure to separate the sheets.

Machine is a Martin Yale 2045. Drive is a giant gear with a spring clutch and solenoid. I replaced it a year ago. I am going to assume the roller has dust and loose ink embedded in it and am going back with some heavy duty cleaner to give it a good scrubbing.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

MY separation SUCKS! It's a non-stop headache and it constantly needs to be adjusted to make it work right and not double feed. The newer machines are even worse than the older ones. I'm wrestling with a 1700 right now myself.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Machine is a Martin Yale 2045. Drive is a giant gear with a spring clutch and solenoid. I replaced it a year ago. I am going to assume the roller has dust and loose ink embedded in it and am going back with some heavy duty cleaner to give it a good scrubbing.
    Drat, that's almost nothing like the MBM equipment I've seen. Sorry for the waste of time.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

We have a church customer that has a Martin-Yale 2051....much like the 2045 you mention above!...we have put multiple spring clutches on and have dealt with double and mis-feeding...everytime the machine comes in our shop, I grimace!...it's a finicky piece of kit that in this day and age, shouldn't be so damn flaky when it comes to maintaining proper adjustments!

and yes,

I DID RTFM!

I went back, ran another ream of raw paper, no issue. Took out my new cleaner and a tooth brush. I scrubbed and scrubbed. Ran about 100 to 120 of the problem papers before jamming. This was an improvement. Puts me back to thinking the rollers are impacted with ink and fiber. I gave up on scrubbing and ordered 2 more rollers. When I take this one off, I will try to soak it in something.