Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Conventional or synthetic

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    While synthetic oil is over all better than conventional oil, the cost may outweigh the benefits. As such, I'd only get synthetic if the owner's manual requires it. It's sort of like getting new tires on your car and having them filled with nitrogen like race cars do. (I tried that once and noticed no difference, and I couldn't find a nitrogen tire pump at any of the gas stations around here either, so I wasted my money then.)
    As far as additives go, I guess the trick is to make the metal parts in the engine retain lubrication after the engine is shut off. Along those lines, I do like to add a container of "Slick 50" during one oil change on my personal vehicles, but that's just me. And I think that's only effective if conventional oil is being used.
    The dealer I bought my car from puts nitrogen in all the new cars they sell. Not sure about used.

When I had a flat last year, I had them purge the air and refill with nitrogen. They did not charge me.

When I bought new tires about 5 months ago (not from the dealer) I had them swap the air for nitrogen on all 4. That cost me all of $25.

I can't say for sure if it drives any differently or is any quieter with nitrogen (although a part of me hopes it does), there is one fact that's hard to deny: The coefficient of expansion is lower with nitrogen, so the pressure doesn't drop as much when the outside temperature goes low. That means the low pressure warning is a lot less likely to light on those nasty cold winter days.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I just use normal/conventional oil which change every 2 months++~~~

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I have a Hyundai 2010 Tucson Limited and I use Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic 5W-20!:

More Fuel Economy.1 More Wear Protection.2 More Engine Life.2 More Performance.3 | Quaker State

Baldwin Filters - Cabin Air & Oil:

Baldwin Filters | Home

I got on the synthetic oil kick when I had a diesel volkswagen jetta--HAD to use synthetic!

Anyway, I definitely know NOT to use oil filters that use a paper medium!--always use a synthetic filter material for longevity!...paper can blow out when clogged and allow particles to pass! (FRAM!)

Not to long ago upgraded my horns to Stebel....they sound good!:

STEBEL-USA

Got the dual tone Magnum Pair!

STEBEL® ITALIA - Trombe Horns

Now I am Looking at some good headlight bulbs, possibly LED from either of these companies:

Chrome Trim, LED Lighting, Car Accessories, Truck Accessories, and Grilles from Putco

http://opt-7.com/#home

Last edited by qbert69; 11-05-2015 at 10:51 PM. Reason: formatting fix!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Conventional or synthetic

Fully synthetic for TDI VW Golf and 10k-12k change with 8k top up on average a litre, doing about 600-700miles to a full tank of fuel. Once a month refueling with Premium fuel to give the engine a blast on motorway to burn the carbon crap out.

Tyres nitrogen filled as standard -- Dunlops Sport 12-14 months max
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Thanks everyone. i do appreciate you take and results. I am leaning on the synthetic as for now. The video below i found the guy give a pretty good description of the different types of oil and their performance, though he had a manufacturer brand in the counter. I have watched quite a number of you tube videos on this topic and the verdict is still a toss up between the experts.

THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke