Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Conventional or synthetic

Many own their own cars and is trying to get feel of which oil they think is superior or preferred, and do you see any advantage over one or the other ?
    synthetic cost about three or four times more and is it worth the bucks ?.
    On the net, cannot get a clear answer. same as using additives like lucas injector cleaner ? [ I mean answers of using additives]
    any thoughts ?.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Re: Conventional or synthetic

just to mention. my last car, a lexus with 400k and used only conventional oil, never burned any oil, but, had leaks, maybe from oil pan or valve covers ect. due to age of car. bought another lexus and the owner was using synthetic, and the cost is three times the amount. I want to switch back to conventional, but hearing all kind of yes and no and don't knows.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

I ran full synthetic (Mobile 1 10w 40) for years, Change every 3500 miles ( I know its good for 5k but only lost one engine with 520K on a chevy 350). I stick to what works so I'm staying with the synthetic. As far as the injectors I run only 100% (no ethanol) gas and never used any type of treatments in the gas. Mongo

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

While synthetic oil is over all better than conventional oil, the cost may outweigh the benefits. As such, I'd only get synthetic if the owner's manual requires it. It's sort of like getting new tires on your car and having them filled with nitrogen like race cars do. (I tried that once and noticed no difference, and I couldn't find a nitrogen tire pump at any of the gas stations around here either, so I wasted my money then.)
    As far as additives go, I guess the trick is to make the metal parts in the engine retain lubrication after the engine is shut off. Along those lines, I do like to add a container of "Slick 50" during one oil change on my personal vehicles, but that's just me. And I think that's only effective if conventional oil is being used.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    I ran full synthetic (Mobile 1 10w 40) for years, Change every 3500 miles ( I know its good for 5k but only lost one engine with 520K on a chevy 350). I stick to what works so I'm staying with the synthetic. As far as the injectors I run only 100% (no ethanol) gas and never used any type of treatments in the gas. Mongo
    thanks for the reply.

If there was a vote for the coolest avatar, yours will be first on my vote. Isn't it typically what a tech goes through every day.

Thanks for the comment on "angry one". He seems to quit working for some reason I'll have to reload him from my flash drive. Mongo

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

I run 100% synthetic in my own vehicles with a high mileage oil filter. Change the filter at 5k , oil at 7.5k. Mine are Fords and a 50/50 syn blend is factory recommended. I have a company ford and the company will do what they do............

P.S. If you take care of your horse, your horse will take care of you......................
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerbomb View Post
    I run 100% synthetic in my own vehicles with a high mileage oil filter. Change the filter at 5k , oil at 7.5k. Mine are Fords and a 50/50 syn blend is factory recommended. I have a company ford and the company will do what they do............

P.S. If you take care of your horse, your horse will take care of you......................

CLEAR AS MUD, as the saying goes.

But what is 50/50 blend. Is it 50 syn and 50 con ? And when you say 5k, is this miles or kilo as i know you are in the us which uses the imperial system.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    CLEAR AS MUD, as the saying goes.

But what is 50/50 blend. Is it 50 syn and 50 con ? And when you say 5k, is this miles or kilo as i know you are in the us which uses the imperial system.

50/50 blend is 50% synthetic, 50% conventional, recomended by several manufacturers . 5K= 5000 Miles..................
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

I think it depends on the vehicle more than anything else.

Some may perform just as well and just as long with either, others, well, not so much.

My 2013 Nissan Altima (2.5 liter 4 banger) has synthetic recommended, but not required. The changing cycle is the same for both, 3,750 miles.

I have run nothing but conventional since the first change, and have seen no ill effects. I currently have 79k on it. Knock on wood.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins