ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Do others in your shop use this site?

I was wondering. I can't seem to get others in my shop to use CTN. I leave my profile up on the shop computer that others use, and no one bothers. Now I am getting ask to post things for other techs on my magic site that gives answers.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Do others in your shop use this site?

Are they really that incredibly lazy?

Let them create their own accounts and make their own posts. They will be better off that way.

Most of the techs in our shop have heard of it and surf it on a very infrequent basis, but I know of no active members.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

We have a few that lurk, but AFAIK noone active. I've suggested to many techs that CTN is an invaluable resource, but very few take the leap. My theory is that the average technician ego is just too fragile to submit their conjecture to public scrutiny. Once you don't give a crap, that goes by the wayside. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

I recently tried to get a couple of them to join. The other senior tech set up an account when I did and let it die after a few months. She recently had some big issue so I told her to post. She set up a new account, posted two sentences stating the issue and waited for a response. I didn't say anything to her about it. I haven't seen anything from the guy who got me to join in years. I tried to get one of the junior techs to join and even coached him about how to post an intelligent question. He never did. It's their loss.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Any tech who like likes to get answers independently first, in their troubleshooting tasks will in no doubt stumble upon this forum. How he assess and evaluates the contents will determine if he visit and eventually subscribe. But most techs don't even open their own computers. They instead will call around to get quick answers and while networking is a good idea, sometimes lethargy sets in and it becomes a habit. some claim, time is the issue. Good techs searches for the keys to the solutions.
    To answer the question, most are not interested in sites likes these, but tend to look at the manufactures bulletins and service reps.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

One of the best things that happen to me. My learning curve went up like nuns eyes during mens strip. Occasionaly I browse dnet (thanks Blackcat for indirect introduction)

And since the age of smartphones and taptalk.. I am hooked.

Few colleagues use it....rarely..
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

you can use this invite page and It will give you credit for the referral if they signup.