Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: DIY Auto shares

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: DIY Auto shares

PB Blaster smells absolutely terrible, but it think it works the best.Not welcome in a customer's office.

WD40 works great for removing the grease from spring clutches.

It's been years, but I've used Marvels Mystery Oil for lubrication with really good results.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

This is kind of iffy but I found that if you have a metal scribe, sometimes you might not need a torque wrench.
    When I wanted to replace the brake shoes on an older car, it turned out that the axle bearings were part of the brake drum units. So I scribed a mark on the drums for every revolution of the wrench I was using to remove the nut that held it on. When I reassembled it I tightened the nut that many turns and was good to go.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Post Re: DIY Auto shares

Here's something to NOT do during winter.

Should you run out of washer fluid, don't give in to the temptation to fill the reservoir, even partially, with glass cleaner, be it Windex, generic, or whatever.

That stuff will freeze almost as fast as water, and will cause you some major pain if it's cold outside.

It's not a bad idea to carry a squirt bottle with washer fluid in it, should you find your squirter nozzles frozen or otherwise non-operational.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

certified scrub 500+ Posts
    DIY Auto shares

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    PB Blaster smells absolutely terrible, but it think it works the best.Not welcome in a customer's office.

It's been years, but I've used Marvels Mystery Oil for lubrication with really good results.
    oh no, definitely not, PB blaster is not for photocopiers.

I mean, what cant you turn with a breaker bar on a 24v DC motor driven machine?

When impact wrench doesnt budge the sucka, breaker bars cant turn the stuff, then PB blaster comes in.
    Idling colour developers are not healthy developers.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Here's something to NOT do during winter.

Should you run out of washer fluid, don't give in to the temptation to fill the reservoir, even partially, with glass cleaner, be it Windex, generic, or whatever.

That stuff will freeze almost as fast as water, and will cause you some major pain if it's cold outside.

It's not a bad idea to carry a squirt bottle with washer fluid in it, should you find your squirter nozzles frozen or otherwise non-operational.

If you live moose country, you better have washer fluid reserves in your trunk. And those fluid are too cheap to run out off, must put it on your do to list to buy. Winters here are very unforgiving and you have to be prepared for little things like this. Another thing i thought of is this. You change your wiper with spanking new ones, don't throw out the old ones [keep in the trunk ]as sometimes your wiper gets broken by whatever means and if you are in the middle of nowhere then those can be a saver, especially in a heavy snow fall.

Question... Wiper blades. which brand or type is a decent performer and how long do a pair last in winter country and how often should they be changed. I usually bought the rubber blades from the car dealer and using the original frame, install the rubber blades. now this car has an after market wiper frame [frameless type]from bosh and its due to be replaced, hence my question.
    Last edited by subaro; 11-29-2015 at 10:36 PM.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    If you live moose country, you better have washer fluid reserves in your trunk. And those fluid are too cheap to run out off, must put it on your do to list to buy. Winters here are very unforgiving and you have to be prepared for little things like this. Another thing i thought of is this. You change your wiper with spanking new ones, don't throw out the old ones [keep in the trunk ]as sometimes your wiper gets broken by whatever means and if you are in the middle of nowhere then those can be a saver, especially in a heavy snow fall.

Question... Wiper blades. which brand or type is a decent performer and how long do a pair last in winter country and how often should they be changed. I usually bought the rubber blades from the car dealer and using the original frame, install the rubber blades. now this car has an after market wiper frame [frameless type]from bosh and its due to be replaced, hence my question.
    In the tropics of Iowa the Bosch wiper blades work really well, I've had the same set on the stealth van for several years and no major complaints. Kind of expensive though.

About this Marvels Mystery Oil. I have researched this a bit and found it has been around for a very long time, since 1937 or so. It is claimed to do many things, like clean fuel system,injectors, and even add to your engine oil and gas tank. Anybody out there has good results for this product and if so, what kind, better fuel consumption ect.
    I would think for a product that has been around for this long, mechanics would have picked up on this and since you can get this stuff at walmart for about 8 bucks a liter cnd, then car buffs would have rated this highly. But like sea foam and the name of the product it remains a real mystery for me anyway?

Let me be clear. I am not promoting any manufacturer products or using this forum to do so. But as a consumer, it is in my interest to try to use products that work efficiently and thus save wasting money on substandard products that eats away at the cash and pollute the enviroment . So these are the reasons i post these questions and mentions brand names, and of course sharing our knowledge of proven products.

Also i know there a lot of car guys out there with valuable tips. share them please.
    Last edited by subaro; 11-30-2015 at 03:14 AM.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    DIY Auto shares

Marvel Mystery oil is great, sorta like Three in One oil, but red in color?
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    Marvel Mystery oil is great, sorta like Three in One oil, but red in color?
    Need a bit more insight on why this oil is great mister. what improvements would i expect on my automobile.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Talking Re: DIY Auto shares

I use Marvel Mystery Oil in my 1968 mercury 65hp boat motor. I put a little in each tank like you would with sea foam. Always had plug fowling and idle problems until i started using it. Makes a huge difference in performance, either that or it just cleaned the carb with the first couple doses and now im just wasting money by still using it, hmmm