Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Practical jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Alien space ship attack.......

Get into one of your co-workers cars an potentially land-mine/booby-trap all their cars electricals:

Turn the radio up full volume.
    Turn the front and rear wipers on full.
    Turn a/c on full.
    Turn heater on full.
    Push the cigarette lighters on.
    Turn indicators on left or right.
    Turn interior light on.
    Turn GPS on.
    Turn Comms radio up full.
    Turn the seat warmer on full.
    Drop the driver seat right back.
    Open the bonnet/hood.
    Open the boot/trunk.
    Open the fuel cap/door.
    Open the glove box/compartment
    Drop the sun visors down.
    Shift all the rear view mirrors.
    And be an all round general pain in the @ss....

Watch the look on your co-workers face when they turn the vehicles ignition key on.......

Last person I did this to was my wife's car at her work place. I have her spare car key, so I electrically booby-trapped her car in the car park going past one day.

She never quite saw the funny side as she all but punched me when she got home. Luckily I can run faster than she can.
    I do that from time time time. Don't take me for a ride along. An especially not when i have a tool kit with me. Removing the gear lever works well.
    Whatever

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

If the temperature is below freezing, a slice of cheap lunch meat on the windshield of a car can work pretty well. A slice of cheese would probably work too.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Practical jokes.

I filled an S10 pickup up to the domelight with packing peanuts. The difficult part is getting the last 2" at the top filled. You have to leave one of the windows open a little. Bill owned this car for years, and every time I rode in it, a handful of packing peanuts would roll out from under the seat, or dump out of the dashboard.

There were an endless stream of phone pranks:
    Taping down the hook button. The phone continues to ring.
    Unplugging the handset cord and taping to the bottom of the phone.
    Smearing something sticky on the ear-part of the handset.

I saved punch hole chads for two years. When my boss went on vacation I filled his desk with chads.

For a while there was a competition of a sort: How many ways can you ship loose toner to the adjoining branch of the company? It got to the point that any company related mail had to be opened over the dumpster, and with great care.

I think my favorite though was gluing Bill's ash tray to the corner of his Steelcase desk with two part epoxy, then letting it cure over the weekend. For the first two weeks he just stacked the butts into a huge cone shaped pile until the ashtray disappeared. Finally he got a hammer and shattered the ashtray into small bits. If that desk is still around somewhere, there is still a disk of broken glass bits forever adhered to the surface. We had no idea it would irritate him so much. He pushed and pulled, yanked, pounded, and it never budged ... for weeks. Obviously, that was quite a while ago. Nobody can smoke at work anymore. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I once changed the desktop on the Mac in the demo room to rotate the screen display 180 degrees, so that it was upside down.

One of the reps had a demo to prepare for the next morning.

If you know how to change it, it's an easy fix.

If you don't (and he did not), it's a hoot.
    Turn the machine to Japanese language. We mess with the office machine all the time. See how long it takes to get it fixed. Like switch off some of the protocols. Or put the useless web on there.

The Useless Web
    Whatever

arcon

Where I work some of the technicians told their manager that they had installed voice recognition in the MFD and that he had to speak his login code.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Practical jokes.

A little grease of the right color and consistency, smeared on a couple of sheets of TP and left on a desk, counter, etc., will cause a scene......... so I've heard....... Used dirty aircraft landing gear strut grease is particularly realistic.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Practical jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Turn the machine to Japanese language. We mess with the office machine all the time. See how long it takes to get it fixed. Like switch off some of the protocols. Or put the useless web on there.

The Useless Web
    We got in a lot of trouble for the Japanese display language. It never occurred to us that none of us can read Japanese, and cannot set it back to English. It was a very humbling call to the hotline. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    We got in a lot of trouble for the Japanese display language. It never occurred to us that none of us can read Japanese, and cannot set it back to English. It was a very humbling call to the hotline. =^..^=

I had the path back to English memorized on the Dialta series. I would change it all the time.

Back at Weber Carburetors, there was a giant of a man named Leon. He was back woods country, about 6 foot 4 inches tall and looked like Lurch from The Addams Family. One day Leon left his car running all day in the parking lot from the time he arrived til shift end. After that, we would steal his keys and go out ans start his car right before the shift ended, leaving him wondering if his car had been running for hours.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Maybe not a joke, but I once accidentally set a 1 to a 0 (or vice versa) on a Canon fax machine, setting it to Japanese.

Of course, whatever bit switch it may have been was not marked in the service manual, along with about a bazillion others.

Nothing like taking 4 hours to finish what should have been a 1 hour call.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

Ah memories, I had the Japanese keypath memorized as well, and one service call the manager at the time was with me. I updated the device and went to the phone to clear the call, and asked him to reboot the device, after changing the language. The look on his face when it rebooted in Japanese was priceless, total aghast. He had a real fair complexion and would turn red at the slightest event, and not only did that happen, he was sputtering and stammering as well. He thought he did something to it, priceless. I told him he better call Canon on his cell phone, which took him away for a minute, quickly changed it back and rebooted. The newer models have a shortcut key, which is handy as I have a couple of customers that do use the Japanese language setting.

Had a manager earlier that was scared of spiders. It was a shop position I had, rebuilding fusers and devs, back in the analog days. It was common to find nursery spiders, larger brown wandering spiders, in the assemblies. I would carefully put one in my hand, and discreetly drop it on his cluttered desk. A minute later or so, he'd jump, papers scattering all over, a big sudden commotion. Everybody else in the department was in on it as well. He eventually caught on to me, but it was fun while it lasted.