Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Remember when ?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Remember when ?

Was thinking a while back about my first airplane ride and could remember when we were allowed to smoke in the first five rows. Actually, they would ask you smoking or non smoking seat.

Gas was 25 cents a liter.

Dark Shadows, the TV horror series. I use to watch this show with a pillow close to my eyes to peep of course.

Car tires had tubes. We would cut a y fork from a tree branch and make sling shots to take pot shots at the street lights [bad,but those were the days]

ANYTHING GOES.
    Last edited by subaro; 12-03-2015 at 12:51 PM.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts HenryT2's Avatar

Re: Remember when ?

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    Was thinking a while back about my first airplane ride and could remember when we were allowed to smoke in the first five rows. Actually, they would ask you smoking or non smoking seat.
    The pilot and co-pilot would walk down the aisle , talk to the passengers , and let small kids go to the cockpit so they could look through the windshield and watch them actually flying the plane .

Gas was 25 cents a liter. I can remember in high school gas was around 20 cents a gallon .

Dark Shadows, the TV horror series. I use to watch this show with a pillow close to my eyes to peep of course.

Car tires had tubes. We would cut a y fork from a tree branch and make sling shots to take pot shots at the street lights [bad,but those were the days] You did not get arrested for " open carry " of your slingshot in your back pocket and small rocks in your pocket as ammo .

ANYTHING GOES.
    The Good Ole Days
    "The Serenity Prayer" . . .
    God grant me the serenity to accept stupid people , the courage to not waste my time and energy on them , and the wisdom to know that I cannot fix STUPID .

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts skookumchuck's Avatar

Alaska Airlines used to allow customers to bring their rifles on board to help avoid damaging the scope prior to going hunting. Things have changed haven't they.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

In keeping with the spirit of the season...

Remember when one bulb on the string of Christmas lights went out, and the reset stayed lit?

Even the new ones that will allow a bulb to burn out, keeping the rest lit, they still require a bulb to be in the socket so that the circuit doesn't open.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    In keeping with the spirit of the season...

Remember when one bulb on the string of Christmas lights went out, and the reset stayed lit?

Even the new ones that will allow a bulb to burn out, keeping the rest lit, they still require a bulb to be in the socket so that the circuit doesn't open.

Mr. KenB, you touch a nerve when you mentioned those lights that use to drive me nuts. you see these bulbs use to burn out and i could not stand to see a bulb not lighting and then you put in a replacement and it would work and you turn your back and it's out and on and on. I did not know anything about electronics then and had the endless task of fiddling and replacing those bulbs to get the tree looking crisp and all lit.
    while you are on the season topic, what about those curtains rods that were flexable that you had to thread through the curtain channel. It would stick and pain in the neck to get it through and we had a big house with lots of windows so headache.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Remember friction tape? Yuck. It turned into a gooey mess that took forever to wash off of my hands. Give me electrical tape and wire nuts any day. For wiring light fixtures and outlets anyway.
    Back in the day, cars didn't have seat belts. Then they had only had lap belts. And some of those were kind of silly compared to now. Back in the sixties, the VW Bug had one lap belt for the entire back seat, I remember the folks strapping me and my brothers into one of those.

"In a cruel and evil world, being cynical can allow you to get some entertainment out of it."

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kidaver View Post
    or watching Pan's People or Legs & Co on top of the pops....
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

The outhouse or better known as the latrine. Nothing like a good sh-t in there. you city boys may not know about that. grab your newspaper and head in. we had both and the modern and the other. fresh air and the bad air[ in the outdoor model], both combinations. Do any of you still have those around.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Remember when ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kidaver View Post
    No, I know I'm old because I was older than a kid when I watched Blondie. MTV didn't come around till '81.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING