Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Good tool magnetizer?

Anyone know a good tool magnetizer? I have a new Katun tool set and the magnetizer it came with just isn't strong enough. Screws are falling off, it's like playing a game of operation trying to make sure I don't barely touch something to make the screw fall off my screwdriver.

Re: Good tool magnetizer?

Wind a long piece of insulated wire around the shaft of your screwdriver and use you car battery by connecting one end of the wire and taping the other end on the other terminal.
    Sometimes its to effective and the screwdriver will get stuck on all the metalwork in the machine.
    Whatever

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Good tool magnetizer?

Had my best luck with 4 magnetron magnets stacked up.

I let it suck down the middle to the bottom and leave it overnight once every couple of weeks.

I use a magnet out of a old HDD. Put it in a pouch behind my screwdriver and every time I put it away and remove it gets magnetized.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I got a couple of the plunger style door magnets that are stuck to my magnetic parts dish that once in a while I stroke the shaft (...sounds bad doesnt it?!....LOL!) of my screwdriver with!!!....the strong rare earth magnets such as the neodymium and cobalt magnets are the best!

Wanna see something cool???:

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    I use the HDD magnets to magnetize my screwdrivers. Also my sister loves them to make tools to clean the inside of big jars (one magnet on the outside, other on the inside, a cloth in between...)
    This, from the McGyver thread.
    (is it "mick" or "mac"? I can never keep that straight.)
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Good tool magnetizer?

I use the HDD magnets to magnetize my screwdrivers. Also my sister loves them to make tools to clean the inside of big jars (one magnet on the outside, other on the inside, a cloth in between...)

I've seen the magnet trick done to clean large fish tanks. Wrap two magnets in cleaning cloth. Put one inside directly across from the outside one. It was a cylindrical tank 1.3m tall by .6m diameter. The cleaner guy used a swirling motion, occasionally spraying glass cleaner on the outside. (The inside seems to stay wet enough ... at least the fish think so.)

It was in a hospital waiting room, and it's amazing how intriguing it is to watch the fish tank be cleaned when you've only got 5 hours to wait. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post

I've seen the magnet trick done to clean large fish tanks. Wrap two magnets in cleaning cloth. Put one inside directly across from the outside one. It was a cylindrical tank 1.3m tall by .6m diameter. The cleaner guy used a swirling motion, occasionally spraying glass cleaner on the outside. (The inside seems to stay wet enough ... at least the fish think so.)

It was in a hospital waiting room, and it's amazing how intriguing it is to watch the fish tank be cleaned when you've only got 5 hours to wait. =^..^=
    You can buy commercially available fish tank cleaning magnet products as described.
    I've seen the same glass cleaning magnets used on a large cubic shaped fish tank. The tank was located in a foyer of a public building. The owners must have grown tied of cleaning the algae growth off the tank, so they left the glass cleaning magnets in place on the fish tank.
    They placed a sign on the tank "Please clean the glass so we can see you" for the fish. It must have worked because every kid that came along (me included) move the cleaning magnets back and forward cleaning the algae off the glass. After some perseverance, I found that there is a trick to actually cleaning the fish tank using the magnetic sponges and working both together.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Good tool magnetizer?

Back to the tool magnetizer issue:
    I have used primarily magnetized screwdrivers with replaceable bits for my entire career. I've got a few odd screwdrivers for specific purposes 18", 30", stubby, offset ... and they do not hold magnetism for any length of time. Every time I need to use one of these special purpose drivers, I have to magnetize it. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Good tool magnetizer?

magnetizer.jpg
    The classic magnetizer is great IF you can fit it into the screwdriver slot of your tool pallet. In other words, every time you insert/remove your driver it re-magnetizes.