Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts andyf424's Avatar

Re: Found on the glass

I found rat poison in a bypass tray once.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Nothing really memorable on the glass, but in the output tray I have found:

Someone's pay statement (that wasn't too bad),

but...

About 5 years ago an HR person had printed a termination notice, that was to be "presented" the following day. No idea if anyone else saw it, but I gave it the manager I was working with. Just to cover myself, I discussed the situation with my local HR person, just in case.

That print job was a glaring example of why all confidential docs should be sent to some sort of locked queue. The ironic part was that this machine had a Fiery attached to it, so there was really no excuse, as the Fiery publishes a "hold" queue.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Exok's Avatar

Once found a 10lb antique electric stapler on the glass. Well, through the glass. Through the scanner assembly as well. It was kept on a shelf above the copier and the shelf gave way.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

To expand on the stapler topic, back in the beginning of my participation in the analog days, when I cleaned the optics of those machines I liked to put the platen glass on a table or some other horizontal surface. Well, the last time I did that was was when I was cleaning the optics of a machine in the office of a manufacturing plant. The platen glass was on a table behind me. A lady (who looked curiously similar to the character "Carla" from the TV show "Cheers") came in from the production floor, put a stapler on the platen glass and stapled around 20 sheets of paper. The platen glass was fine, but I came this close || to needing to go home to change my underwear.
    Beginning just after that, if I need to remove the platen glass from a machine I hide it as best I can.

I forgot to mention....the pay statement I found in the output tray was during an Equitrac install...almost as if on que.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Found on the glass

When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Found on the glass

Not the glass but, on a Canon plotter at a county nursery, problem was scanner not working correctly. Found a mouse nest in the corner by the power supply(imagine that) and everything else that come with a family of mice living there. Multiple times found papers on glass left behind on traded in machines from dentist, doctors, chiropractors etc, with personal information, SS numbers and addresses and such.

Quote Originally Posted by tech28 View Post
    Not the glass but, on a Canon plotter at a county nursery, problem was scanner not working correctly. Found a mouse nest in the corner by the power supply(imagine that) and everything else that come with a family of mice living there. Multiple times found papers on glass left behind on traded in machines from dentist, doctors, chiropractors etc, with personal information, SS numbers and addresses and such.
    Yeah...and yet the copier industry comes under fire for not having machines secure enough.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Best pay stub I found was $4400 after taxes for a month. One time while I was the only one in the room on base, I found a sheet that had the names, birthdays, social security numbers and addresses of an entire company of 3RD Special Forces soldiers. Walked it down the hall, handed it to an officer and told him he should be happy he has an honest repair tech.

One time I was ask to do a "while you are here" while in the command building. This was right after the start of the Afgan war. They couldn't find the jam. I found it. Pulled out a close up pic of someone's face laying on the ground in a pool of blood. It was a kill shot, to prove someone had got their target. They snatched it from me exclaiming "You're not supposed to see that.!"
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Found on the glass

The Big Boss left his complete personal financial statement on the platen glass of the main office copier once. He was lucky I found it not a salesman as they would have all been pushing for bigger commissions. All I will say was there was an awful lot of zeros on the bottom line.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.