Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    To our dear engineer friends

Re: To our dear engineer friends

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    To be fair to the engineers it would be extremely difficult to design a machine that has all of the parts easy to remove.
    It was called the Kyocera Falcon Series. Full PM and decent cleaning could take you about 30 minutes.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    It was called the Kyocera Falcon Series. Full PM and decent cleaning could take you about 30 minutes.
    We don't want it to be too easy or they won't need us anymore. I don't mind a little difficulty in my job.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

True, just commenting that a tech friendly machine is possible. Clearly they prefer the over-engineered approach.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    We don't want it to be too easy or they won't need us anymore. I don't mind a little difficulty in my job.
    Re. Redundant Technicians.
    True ,the above is very true...

Technicians can't be made totally redundant though, because my fishing gear (reals,boat,trailer,motor) will always need repairs, an like a good Tech, I would have to test those repairs are out on the water. Of coarse if the repairs aren't quiet right, then I would have to go out again and again just to check until I'm sure I have them right.

As I tell my wife all the time, "being a Technician is not a job dear, it's a way of life ..."

Hang on dear those other machines can wait. I have to test this new prop repair on the boat. Better throw in the fishing rods so I can make sure the reals stay free and don't seize up. I'll be back in an hour..... ........... (hour before dark).....

See Technicians should never be redundant......

Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

former propeller tester 250+ Posts

a good time now to voice my DEEP DEEP DEEP hatred of that engineering marvel called THE GAS STRUT --- AAARRRG F%^&^$ken AARRRRRG. If you havnt had your hands amputated yet while checking the oil watch out. The rear door on my trailer wont stay up, or the rear door on my jeep, or the bonnet, or the bonnet of my partners Toyota ... AAAAARRRRG . Ive seen two Hi tech vehicles parked side by side, one giving the other a jump start, and both cars had their bonnets held up with pieces of wood F##KN AAAARRRG (wouldn't be so bad if cars came with a bit of wood but they f#@kn don't)

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts HenryT2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    While changing the MFB on a bizhub c35, removing 30 or 40 screws, I kept thinking of how on an HP you unscrew 2 thumb scres and it slides out.
    We have often thought some of these engineers have a cousin that owns the factory that makes the screws ; and they are trying to make their cousin rich .
    "The Serenity Prayer" . . .
    God grant me the serenity to accept stupid people , the courage to not waste my time and energy on them , and the wisdom to know that I cannot fix STUPID .

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HenryT2 View Post
    We have often thought some of these engineers have a cousin that owns the factory that makes the screws ; and they are trying to make their cousin rich .
    I think along similar lines when it comes to getting in brand new equipment, and the amount of tape attached on.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paulrid View Post
    There is something about KM and screws, why use 1 when 25 will do
    KonMin is known for excessive amounts of screws and having covers that overlap so you have to circle around the machine removing covers in a sequence just so you can remove the cover you want.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts andyf424's Avatar

I catch myself saying "Whoa, I'm REALLY not supposed to be in here" when I'm taking something apart that seems more complicated then necessary. Konica and Kyocera are the two brands I work on most of the time and after you've done a procedure once or twice, it really starts to make sense. There are some jobs though that you can tell the engineers knew deep in their hearts, that this component will NEVER fail. Once it's together at the factory, it's set for LIFE!

FS-532 eject belt assembly comes to mind.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Perhaps the print engine in the Ricoh AF615 C would be a fine example of this. If you've never seen one count yourself lucky. They were really expensive, and fragile too!
    The Lanier model number for that machine is LD215c. In the Lanier lore, the number 215 has been cursed since the analog days, and is something to be avoided.