Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

Music Streaming questions

Ok, I started walking and found that music makes the 1-2 hour jaunt a lot more enjoyable. Currently using Pandora (non subscribed), and am starting to hear many of the same songs on different days. Pluses for Pandora for me are free, and the 64K bitrate that doesn't eat away at my current 2 gb/month. I am thinking about subscribing to a service to get a more expanded library but a Pandora subscription doesn't offer a larger library. Most of the services I've looked at start out around 10 million songs (versus Pandora's 1 million) and I have no objection paying around $10 per month for the additional selections. My issue is the low (streaming) settings on these services are around 96-128 K bitrate. This will double my data usage and now I'm paying $20-25 more per month. I am certainly not an audiophile, and I have no problem with Pandora's quality using the mobile connection. Just looking for some ideas or "this is how I do it" tips to find a happy medium. I also would like to use the "download" this song feature that most apps have. I am using a Galaxy S-4 with plain old ear buds. Thanks for any suggestions. Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Service Manager 250+ Posts SwisSeV's Avatar

Re: Music Streaming questions

Spotify should fit your needs better than Pandora. Amazon prime members have access to quite a bit of streaming music too, but the interface is terrible, like most amazon apps. Or, you could do what I do; listen to podcasts on Stitcher.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I dont know where you live, but T-Mobile offers music streaming that doesn't use your data. Maybe others do as well.

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/free-music-streaming.html

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I used "Shoutcast" quite a bit back in the day on the computer. But I don't know if they have a mobile app. Or if it still works anymore, I used it as part of Winamp then, and Winamp has been in retooling mode for quite some time.
    You might look into "I Heart Radio". I'm pretty sure they do have a mobile app.

Spotify for me, £9.99 a month, use it all day every day. When im out and about i make sure my playlists are synced for offline use and use no data!

Also works great over bluetooth in the car.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

No streaming. I used to have a massive cd collection. One of my coworkers used to buy music from Russian sites for a couple of pennies per song. I let her copy my cd's, then I copied her hdd. I think I have around 600 to 650 gigs of music. I have a 64gb card on my phone and just load it and play, no data caps.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I use google's Play Music app its cost 9.99 a month but I can usually find anything i want on there and it also offers a option where you can start a Radio Station from an artist you enjoy much like Pandora. You can also set the streaming quality lower to save on your data. Also you can when on wifi also DL albums or songs to listen to with out using data. Also if you wanted to split the cost I think for 14.99 you can have up to six people use the app so you could save some money there just a thought.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I use https://play.google.com/store/music you can subscribe to their complete library for $7-$10 /month and if you subscribe, you can download anything you want to your device and listen off-line at no extra cost. if you cancel, any of the stuff you downloaded as part of your subscription to your device goes away. It's a great service. You can also upload your existing library to google servers (see part 2) and stream your own stuff for free which is what I do, they also have streaming radio available for free (like Pandora) and the ability to create playlists and easily cycle them on/off your device.

PART 2: I (might) use MP3million (Buy & Download Cheap Mp3 Music Online) for downloading, they have a pretty complete library and downloads are just $0.09 So I (could possibly) download from them and then upload it straight to my google play account and all is good. I (possibly) know lots of people on mp3milloin and I've never heard anything bad about them.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I use google play music with the family plan. The 4 people I put on my family plan love it. Also that YouTube red is a pretty sweet bonus.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I've collected a pretty vast collection of digital music that I can/could load onto my phone, but mostly I find that I prefer to simply use the free apps from my favorite radio stations, and let them choose the playlist