Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Re: there's no way its the paper.

The worst I ever saw was on a Di620. It was August and the air was very wet. They were storing copy paper outside in a storage shed. The paper would pass through the machine and when it came out on the finisher the curl was so bad, it had about a 2 inch gap between lead and trail edge. The copy room was about 8 feet x 8 feet. I had them put a dehumidifier in the room and they were emptying the 1 gallon tank 3 times a day.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

I just had a paper call yesterday. Color prints were fine, black-only prints came out almost blank. If I ran blank pages through, then sent the paper through again, the black came out fine. Moisture was causing shorts and static sparks. Not real sure what can be done to the printer to fix this problem, other than getting new paper.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

One of my military customers found a way to dry paper in the jungle. He took a metal cabinet and put a 40 watt light bulb in it. The heat kept the paper dry.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

All kyocera floor model mfp comes with two or more storage plastic bags in the tray. below are the description provided in the user manual as to the protection and storage of paper. Lead the horse to the water. If he does not drink, then

CAUTION: If you copy onto used paper (paper already used for copying), do not use paper that is stapled or
    clipped together. This may damage the machine or cause poor image quality.
    Avoid exposing opened paper to high temperatures and high humidity as dampness can be a cause of problems.
    Seal any remaining paper after loading in the multi purpose tray or cassettes back in the paper storage bag.
    If the machine will not be used for a prolonged period, protect all paper from humidity by removing it from the
    cassettes and sealing it in the paper storage bag.

NOTE: Note that some paper types have a tendency to curl and may jam in the paper eject unit.
    If the output paper scatters or stacks unevenly, turn the paper over in the cassette, or change the orientation
    (vertical/horizontal) of the paper in the cassette.
    If you use special paper such as letterhead, paper with holes or paper with pre-prints like logo or company
    name,

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    there's no way its the paper.

Back in the analog days, I used to lick down the middle of a fresh piece of paper and just the middle would be light.
    Proved my point.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar

I am in SE Texas, and I do know humidity, I have seen it so bad, once on a old AR 5132, with the duplex tray, paper curled up so bad, it would not feed out at all, I ran some duplex and pulled the ADU tray out, opened it up, showed the cust. it was almost a tube of rolled up paper.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

1. Quote Originally Posted by nmfaxman View Post
      Back in the analog days, I used to lick down the middle of a fresh piece of paper and just the middle would be light.
    Quote Originally Posted by nmfaxman View Post
    Proved my point.
    Been a while since I have used a similar trick. I used to take a newspaper and run a copy of it on paper that I had just taken out of the wrapper. Then I take a sheet of paper. Then I'd take another sheet of the paper from the same fresh ream and just press my hand in the middle of the fresh sheet. Then run it through the machine and make a copy of the same newspaper. You could clearly see on the second copy where I had pressed my hand onto the paper. This was with the older Canon Pc25, pc6re's and some of the mita dc1415's.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    there's no way its the paper.

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    The building has old ventilation system that couldn't be upgraded because the building is a historical site.
    In my town ohio university just uses "Deferred Maintenance Plan" (aka NEGLECT) treatment to their historic register building for several years then they level them.

There is a 1911 Packard building they are demoing very soon in early May, COME HELL OR HIGH WATER & 1.5 million dollar contract to demo says so.

The good news........ The green space will be done before the precious little BASTARDS return in the fall..... So it's all good.

There is significant Kirkbride building in their ownership that for YEARS had a 30 foot opening in the roof (they could care less)

Just makes me SICK.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Just tear the paper...if it has grain long, run the paper lengthwise....perpendicular to the paper path!...if it is grain short, run it crosswise to the path of travel!

If it is recycled and you have no particular grain direction, you're gonna have a bad time either orientation!

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

As all Copier Techs know : Paper is dry wood.

Dry wood absorbs moisture.

HV electrical charge dissipates quickly to ground through moisture, and therefore no toner attraction to the paper ,meaning no image transfer to paper.

If you leave a plank of 2"x4" wood out in the sun the timber will dry out on one side and bend or curl its shape on the dried heated side. And so too moist paper will tend to curl on one side when run through a Printer/Copier fuser unit. It is also an effect from heat and mechanical pressure.

BTW. If you want to straighten any curved piece of timber or timber sheeting, wet the curled up side(ends stickup up in the air), then turn it over curl side down an leave it out in the sun for an hour or so until it goes flat. You can do this with half the length of the of timber also, just place half the length in the sun.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••